speed up cycling?

1. mga1603 Initiate Member

hello! I am very new to "fish keeping" and I recently set up a new 10 gallon tank. this is my second tank, my first was a 3.5 gallon TopFin tank with 2 male guppies and a mystery snail. all 3 of these pets died in the first three hours due to what turned out to be too much water conditioner. I then waited about 2 weeks to clean out and re-set up my tank. I then trusted the employees at petsmart (I now realize they have no idea what they are talking about) and I bought an apple snail and 3 glofish danios. they got aggressive and we had to return them. so, I bought a bigger tank and put my apple snail in the 3.5 gallon. I'm curious as to if I can put 3 platies in my 10 gallon and if there is a way I can speed up the cycling process. will a bubbler help? tetra safe start? anything helps! thanks!

2. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like your best bet is Seachem Prime, Seachem Stability, and water changes.

Prime will dechlorinate water, and also detoxify 1ppm of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate for about 24 hours. It's also safe for up to 5x normal dose so no worries of overdosing.

Stability will help establish bacteria in your filter that will run the nitrogen cycle.

Whenever your ammonia or nitrite is above .50 you'll want to do a water change to get it back to 0-.25
    You'll also want to buy an API master test kit to test the water with.

Most importantly, if you haven't already, research the nitrogen cycle. It's the single most important part of fishkeeping.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore!

Tetra Safe Start Plus is also a good option for cycling. Follow the directions on the back of the bottle (and remember, no water changes for 2 weeks!).

3 male platies in a 10 gal would be great!

4. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

TSS+ also good, I've heard good things about it but have never tried it myself. The no water change thing would drive me bonkers

5. Bellatrix Member Member

I used TSS and it's good enough.

6. s hawk Well Known Member Member

Used TSS+ twice and works great although the no WC yes is annoying but it doesn't get too bad.

7. mga1603 Initiate Member

will this make my water foggy or visibly different?

also, what could I put in my ten gallon in replacement of a snail without overstocking?

8. Skyy2112 Member Member

If you still have the bacteria floss from your first tank plop that into your 10g setup. This will help get your bacteria colony going faster. I just did a 6 day cycle in a 10g...

We added new gravel, new rock deco, primed water, a filter that WAS cycled that sat in our garage for a week. (It was still wet, we tried it, it worked) and about 75% of a TSS+ recommended starting dose for a 10g.

Worked for us, todays day 7, no ammonia, no nitrites... Did a waterchange.

Shrimp! Red Cherry Shrimp are neat, or maybe ghosties?

9. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Think about what you'll want in the long run. Though I think shrimp should do fine with most things going in a 10 gallon, plus they're neat to watch.

10. mga1603 Initiate Member

10 gallon tank

I recently set up a new 10 gallon tank. I'm very new and this is my first tank aside from my 3.5 gallon. I'm very confused on the nitrogen cycle and how long it will take to complete. I'm very excited to get my fish so I want to hear some helpful tips to getting the cycle to complete faster. thanks!

11. BellatheBetta Member Member

There is no set time as to how long the Nitrogen Cycle will take to complete, sometimes it takes just longer than 1 month and sometimes past 2 months. To make the cycle happen quicker you can add mature and cycled media from an existing tank to yours. This will add a pre existing colony of good bacteria to your tank. Media could be a sponge from a filter sand or gravel, etc.
    The Nitrogen cycle is the name given to the process where ammonia is converted in the aquarium to other things. Ammonia, produced by fish waste and rotting material is harmful to the fish, is converted to Nitrite (slightly less toxic) by the good bacteria that grow in your tank. The Nitrite is then converted, by the bacteria, into Nitrate. Nitrate is less toxic to your fish and can be removed or lessened by water changes that are carried out.

12. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

First, I'd advise you to read up on the nitrogen cycle. If you click on the blue words in your post, it will take you to a page where it explains it in a way that is easy to understand (at least for me !)

-Some tips to speed up the process
    -Using a bacteria additive like Tetra Safe Start Plus
    -Using media from your establish tank to seed your new filter
    -Cranking up the heat in your new tank

Tips in general:
    -Get a reliable testing kit and dechlorinator! Most of the users here like API's MAster Test Kit and Seachem Prime.
    -you always need a source of ammonia to feed your growing bacteria colony while you're cycling. To do this without fish, you can use pure ammonia or fish food in a spare media bag to keep the tank from getting messy
    -As excited as you are for fish, don't rush the process! You would much rather wait for it to cycle than prematurely introduce fish only to have them all die in a matter of days.
    -The first fish you introduce should be a hardy species just in case you experience a spike in your parameters.
    -Ten gallon tanks are much harder to keep stable than larger volume tanks so when in doubt, test the water!

I hope this helps you; don't be afraid to ask questions here, everyone is friendly and willing to help!

Best of luck :)

13. mga1603 Initiate Member

thank you!!!

14. mga1603 Initiate Member

tetra safe start

hello! I just received my tetra safe start in the mail and as I am reading the directions, it says I can put in the whole bottle in for aquariums up to 100 gallons, but mine is only ten. can I still put in the whole bottle to instantly prepare my aquarium for fish?[​IMG]

15. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Wow, they started putting directions on the bottle again? Just to be safe, check for an expirationdate on the bottle. (I think it should be on the bottom).

But to answer your question, yes, pour the entire, well shaken bottle in. You cannot overdose, but you can underdose.

16. mga1603 Initiate Member

would my tank then be ready for fish?

17. Silister Trench Well Known Member Member

Yes, but don't go overboard and fill it to the max. Start with just a few. Whenever I've used something like that I've always treated it as an non-cycled tank and tested water parameters daily until shown otherwise. I've had certain brands work, while others not so much. If it's expired, it probably won't work.

18. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Yes, you need to add your fish and the bottle of SafeStart at the same time. But note that it has to have been at least 24 since you last added a water conditioner to your tank, before you can add the SafeStart, since water conditioners can cause it to fail if you do not wait the 24 hours.

After you add the SafeStart and fish, do nothing other than lightly feed your fish for the next 14 days. On day 14 test your water and if all worked correctly, you'll be cycled.

You may find this link helpful:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/58116-q-tetra-tetra-safestart.html

19. axel Well Known Member Member

20. mga1603 Initiate Member

should I put the whole bottle in if I just have a 10 gallon tank?