Help Species Of My Pleco

aamaral98

Reaction score
Hi I'm a first time pleco owner. Hes about 6-8 inches and around a year old. Just tossed up on what species he is?
Also,
1. What live plants are best for him?
2. What size tank should he be in for the size he is right now? (I will be upgrading again when he gets bigger!)
20190916_225932.jpg
20190916_200325.jpg
20190916_013652.jpg
20190916_200331.jpg

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It is a very stressed Gold Spot Sailfin, Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus. When happy, the body is dark chocolate brown to black, with the gold spots and reticulations. I have one of these, and when mine looks like yours, I know the tank is overdue for a major water change.

Does he have any wood to chew on? That could be another reason for being stressed, as they need the fiber. At that size he should already be in a 75 gallon tank or larger, and in the end he will need at least a 125.

aamaral98

Reaction score
It is a very stressed Gold Spot Sailfin, Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus. When happy, the body is dark chocolate brown to black, with the gold spots and reticulations. I have one of these, and when mine looks like yours, I know the tank is overdue for a major water change.

Does he have any wood to chew on? That could be another reason for being stressed, as they need the fiber. At that size he should already be in a 75 gallon tank or larger, and in the end he will need at least a 125.
I juuust did a tank change before this picture so maybe thats why? I probably could use a bigger tank too

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom