Spawning Trichogaster trichopterus

fordtrannyman
I just spent the last hour or so watching them spawn.
What an awesome site. Unfortunately is happened in my community tank.
The probability of any hatching is very unlikely. I fear that if I try to move the eggs , that I may kill them as well.

Does anyone have any input??

216.jpg

217.jpg

218.jpg
You Can See All The Eggs Above Them.
They Performed this Ritual About 5 Times

Lots of Eggs

219.jpg

Allie
Very cool pixs....I know very little about them.

COBettaCouple
Perhaps a tank divider could protect the eggs from the other fish. The only way to move them is to keep them in water at all times.. usually done by gently scooping them into a container then moving them to a 2nd tank.

fordtrannyman
Perhaps a tank divider could protect the eggs from the other fish. The only way to move them is to keep them in water at all times.. usually done by gently scooping them into a container then moving them to a 2nd tank.

I think it might be worth the effort to try to move some to my breeder tank.
How many days do you think I should wait?
There is not a bubble nest to speak of. They are just kinda scatterd through some floating Hornwart. So it'll be a challenge. What about the difference in water parameters from a planted tank to a non-planted tank. Temperature, PH, KH, GH are all slightly higher in breeder tank...????

COBettaCouple
probably a large container to sort of 'scoop' up the plant and eggs at once would be the best way to move them. You could acclimate them in the same way that you would acclimate fish to the other tank. I'd move them as soon as you're ready so they don't become snacks for the other fish.

fordtrannyman
I have read multiple sources that state the male tends to the eggs until they become free swimming.
Should I move the male with them?

COBettaCouple
Yes, I'd move him if he's meant to tend them since the only reason to move them is to keep the other fish from eating them.

Drea
For Us Rookies?

Those a beautiful pics, but what are those gourami's?

fordtrannyman
Bad News!:'( I got home from work to see that all but a dozen or so had been gobbled up. There were about 6-8 wrigglers. So I gently removed them with a syringe and moved them to another tank.

Those a beautiful pics, but what are those gourami's?

Trichogaster trichopterus are 3 spot Gourami. These are of the Opouline type.

Mike
Those are fantastic photos of the spawning event. Nice job.

COBettaCouple
That stinks. I'm glad you were able to get some wigglers to safety and hope they'll grow good. Do you have a bbs hatchery setup for them?

Bad News!:'( I got home from work to see that all but a dozen or so had been gobbled up. There were about 6-8 wrigglers. So I gently removed them with a syringe and moved them to another tank.

Trichogaster trichopterus are 3 spot Gourami. These are of the Opouline type.

fordtrannyman
Do you have a bbs hatchery setup for them?

Yes, I do!

I don't see the wrigglers today. But, that doesn't mean their not there.
I'm making some green water for them too. Just in case they do make it to be free swimming.
They can't take BBS until their Labyrinth develops.

Wish them luck!

COBettaCouple
yea, they can really hide.. when they're ready to eat, food should bring them out though.

fordtrannyman
I have free swimmers;D
I haven't been this excited since my first son was born.
I only count about eight maybe ten. There about the size of the head of a sewing pin with little tails. I tried to get a pick but there still too small.

All the articles I've read say there not supposed to be free swimming until about day five. It's been 36hours since the spawn.

Nevertheless I made a batch of egg yolk and put a couple of drops in there.
They scattered soon as the syringe touched the water. But were back in the area a few minutes later. So I guess they're eating it.
I am going out of town for a day and a half.
Do you think they'll be ok if I put a couple of large drops?

I'm running a sponge filter only. There may be infusoria growing on it....

COBettaCouple
I found with our mahachaI that they often beat the articles in getting to the free swimming stage and was actually a little late setting up the bbs hatcheries thinking that I had at least 3 more days when they started free swimming.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but you did cook the egg yolk, right? It tends to be pretty messy and I'm not sure if they'll eat any after it's been in there a while so I'd probably not put extra in for the day & a half that you'd be gone. Maybe leaving a lettuce leaf floating would work for giving them green water? I'm not sure on that one and you'd want to check with CWC, he can set you straight on that.

I have free swimmers;D
I haven't been this excited since my first son was born.
I only count about eight maybe ten. There about the size of the head of a sewing pin with little tails. I tried to get a pick but there still too small.

All the articles I've read say there not supposed to be free swimming until about day five. It's been 36hours since the spawn.

Nevertheless I made a batch of egg yolk and put a couple of drops in there.
They scattered soon as the syringe touched the water. But were back in the area a few minutes later. So I guess they're eating it.
I am going out of town for a day and a half.
Do you think they'll be ok if I put a couple of large drops?

I'm running a sponge filter only. There may be infusoria growing on it....

fordtrannyman
Ya' know I was thinkin' 'bout that BBS thing at work today. I think it wouldn't hurt to start off introducing them earlier than articles suggest. If they're able to eat them they will, Right.? Water changes are necessary every other day anyhow.

Yes, I cooked the egg yolk and mixed with water.

Who is CWC?

Well, on my way out the door. I'm gonna try to get back as early as possible to check on 'em and get their water changed.

Thank You Very Much for sticking through with me on this thread COBettaCouple. ;D
It means a lot to this big 'ole burly biker!x

Didn't see a biker smily :;pirate so I guess I'll be a pirate.

Merry Christmas

Butterfly
Since CoBettaCouple has been doing such a good job and I've been working 13hr days I haven't jumped in but for what it's worth heres my : .
I find that eggs go to the wiggler and free swimming stage anywhere from 24-36 hrs. If using egg yolk to feed teh fry large daily water changes need to be done, although it's a good first food it can also pollute the water really quickly. Water quality is as important if not more important than what you feed them.
Now if you have plants or decor(plants would be better) in another tank that has algae on it they will graze off the critters that grow in algae while your gone (almost as good a green water(infusoria)) I wouldn't add extra food for while your gone.
I have found First Bites by HikarI to be a good first food along with the live baby brine shrimp.(remember to rinse the salt off). Good luck and let us know how they do.
CWC is Chief Water Changer one of the other Mods. It's just easier to type CWC
Carol

COBettaCouple
cool. When you mentioned drops, I was wondering. You'd be surprised how many fry have gotten a Rocky Balboa special. Glad I can help out, raising anabantoid fry is an interesting deal and we'd like to see you get the max. survival rate for them.
Yes, I cooked the egg yolk and mixed with water.

fordtrannyman
Update!

So far, So Good!
It's been a week and there are still about 7 fry (that I can count)
Still too small to get a picture.

How long should I keep feeding egg yolk?

COBettaCouple
I probably wouldn't feed them egg yolk past a week or 2.

fordtrannyman
I started a batch of BBS. Using a 1-liter bottle and keeping the water temp about 80F.
After turning off the aeration, is everything that does not float to the surface hatched BBS?

COBettaCouple
The BBS are instinctively drawn to light. I find the best way to collect them is to focus a strong light on a small part of the 2.5g tank I'm hatching them in. I wrap a dark towel around the tank & turn out the overhead light to try to draw them to that point, then I suck them up with a turkey baster. I get mostly BBS and few to no eggs. I think you could do the same principle with the 1-liter bottle.

fordtrannyman
The BBS are instinctively drawn to light. I find the best way to collect them is to focus a strong light on a small part of the 2.5g tank I'm hatching them in. I wrap a dark towel around the tank & turn out the overhead light to try to draw them to that point, then I suck them up with a turkey baster. I get mostly BBS and few to no eggs. I think you could do the same principle with the 1-liter bottle.

I figured it out. It took about 48hours to get a good hatch rate.
The fry absolutely love them!
I still can't tell exactly how many there are with all the Hornwart they're hiding in. At least 5, maybe more.

They're so fragile looking. Very transparent with little blue bellies when the light hits them just right. There are a two that are much larger than the rest.

Drea
Hey new fish daddy, are you going to post any pics soon? Or a video of feeding time would be so cool, since someone like me (and others?) will never be able to have baby fishes. You must have a great camera, based on the spawn pics. Glad everything is going well with the fry.

COBettaCouple
I love watching the Endlers fry go nuts chasing down the BBS. They do look fragile, but with good water and feeding they'll be growing fast.

fordtrannyman
Hey new fish daddy, are you going to post any pics soon? Or a video of feeding time would be so cool, since someone like me (and others?) will never be able to have baby fishes. You must have a great camera, based on the spawn pics. Glad everything is going well with the fry.

They're growing fast but still a little too small to get a pic, as I don't have a background on their tank. At the rate they're going, maybe by week three.

Gozer_1
This thread so makes me hope one day my Golds will do the same. Maybe once the plants bush out a little more at the surface. I admit it, I'm jealous. lol

fordtrannyman
This thread so makes me hope one day my Golds will do the same. Maybe once the plants bush out a little more at the surface. I admit it, I'm jealous. lol

This spawn was all natures doing. I have been trying to spawn Trichogaster trichopterus for quite a while, with no success. But, I did figure out what prompted this spawn. Now that I have this experience, I think I can do it again with greater success. But, I'm learning that spawning fish and rearing the brood is not even close to the same realm and not as black and white as I've read in articles.

lilsoccakid
sry to go off topic for moment fordtrannyman, but I was wondering if you could explain how to prepare and feed the fish egg yolk more specifically, as my GBR's will hatch very soon

thanks!

Gozer_1
Sounds like I'll be watching this thread very closely lol. I haven't the first clue as to what makes a Gourami well you know.. in the mood.

COBettaCouple
Animal Planet!
Sounds like I'll be watching this thread very closely lol. I haven't the first clue as to what makes a Gourami well you know.. in the mood.

fordtrannyman
sry to go off topic for moment fordtrannyman, but I was wondering if you could explain how to prepare and feed the fish egg yolk more specifically, as my GBR's will hatch very soon

thanks!

Boil egg, peel, remove yolk, eat egg white (if u want),put egg yolk in bowl, add water, mash and stir until it's a thin paste. Serve up using a syringe of sorts (NO NEEDLE). It keeps in the fridge for a couple of days.

Curious; what does your user name mean?

COBettaCouple
fordtrannyman
Fry Pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These little guys are growing fast now.
14 Days Old
I would estimate they're about 3/16" overall. The Gravel is 6-8mm, so that gives you an idea.
I think there is 7, still not sure yet.

I pulled out all the Hornwart today so I could put a pre-filter on the HOB intake and get it fired back up on it's lowest setting.

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

COBettaCouple
;D They're cute little ones!

Gozer_1
Awwwwwwww.

Drea
How cool is that you are doing so well getting those fry growing! Bet that BBS is doing the trick. Be proud of your efforts

fordtrannyman
How long do I keep feeding my fry BBS?

First Bytes granule size seems a little too big for them right now.
They're about a 1/4" - 5/16" long now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bizaliz3
Replies
Views
ErikaCA
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies