Spawning or courting? Males or females?

jle6788

Reaction score
HI all. I have 2 GBR's in my 75 gal. planted tank. I need help sexing them both. They are always after one another, following each other around, nipping at one another, fins go up and they ram into one another. The tank is plenty big, planted, and a pretty calm tank overall. There is enough room for them both. At first I was thinking I had two males on my hands because of the spawning I read about BUT upon further investigation, I believe they are actually two females. I notice they both have pink/purple underbellies. They are both beautifully vibrant in color. They are both the same size so it isn't a male to female situation. The black scales on both of their sides have rainbow reflect going through it, isn't a solid black. Their dorsal fin... only 1 is longer than all the others. Do you guys agree that they both are female? Also, will getting 1 male solve this problem?

Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sounds like normal behaviour. And I would say both are females. Three isn't a great number for rams, if you get more, get two males rather than just one.

OP
J

jle6788

Reaction score
Do you think getting two males will help the aggression going on or do you think that there will be equal amount of bickering? I would hate to get two males and they don't pair well or the males then go at it.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They will bicker either way. Its just part of how rams interact. In a 75 gallon there should be more than enough room to allow for it.

JakeDfish

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I agree with Feohw, as long as the females and the soon to come males aren’t ripping the others fins to shreds and making the others hide constantly I’d say it’s a pretty normal behavior. As for getting two new males I’d say it depends on if they accept each other. If the males decide they don’t like the females they could eventually harm the females but because you have such a big tank I don’t think it should be too much of an issue if that does happen.

New Threads