29 Gallon Tank spawning kenyi

rollo

has anyone ever seen the male kenyI hold eggs? after the female has failed twice, the males is holding the eggs. is this very rare and what should I expect? this is my first try with mouth brooders. tnx Rollo

Nutter

Welcome to Fishlore Rollo.

Can't say that I've ever heard of the male holding eggs. Your sure that it's a male that is holding? Male & female are very distincly different (male yellow female blue). Is it possible for you to post a photo or video of your Kenyi?

You should really have more females if you want a chance of a successfull spawn. At least 3 females for each male so he can breed with the others instead of just harassing a single female while she's holding. The problem there is that you need at least a 55gal tank for any Mbuna so the other part of your breeding problems is that the tank just isn't big enough for them.

rollo

tnx Nutter, for you response, It is definetly the male that is holding. I know that the tank is small for the fish and that I should have more females but I can't set up a bigger tank at this time, if the kenyI don't workout I may and try and breed dwarfs of some sort. any suggestions for easy breeders, rams, kribensis,? I have successfully bred jewel chiclids, but agn they are bigger fish. tnx for your help, Rollo

Nutter

Very odd that the yellow male would be holding & I'm at a complete loss to explain it. Given that the eggs are actually fertilized while in the females mouth, in theory it is impossible for the male to be holding. The female would actually need to transfer the fertilized eggs to the male after the act has taken place & I just can't see that happening & certainly no one else has ever reported this behaviour in Mbuna that I'm aware of. Nature is strange though so I guess anything is possible.

29gal is suitable for breeding a pair of Red Jewels as they are not as active as Mbuna are. Given their territorial instincts they don't need quite as much space as Mbuna, even though they get bigger than the average Mbuna species do. Kribs are easy to breed & 29gal would be fine for them. Rams are also usually pretty easy so long as the water parameters are suited to them. Any of the Dwarf cichlids would be fine for breeding in 29gal actually so long as you can meet the water parameter requirements they need to induce breeding.

You could also look at Convicts, Altolamprologus Calvus, Julidochromis Dickfeldi, Julidochromis Ornatus, Julidochromis Transcriptus, Keyholes, Port Acara, Neolamprologus Leleupi, Neolamprologus Pulcher, Neolamprolgus Brichardi, Copper Mouthbrooder (Pseudocrenilabrus Philander), Egyptian Mouthbrooder (Pseudocrenilabrus Multicolor), Angels, Temporalis Cichlid (Telmatochromis Temporalis), Firemouth, Altolamprologus Compressiceps, Rainbow Cichlid (Herotilapia Multipinosa) & Festivum are other options for a 29gal breeding tank. You might be able to do a smaller Mbuna like Pseudotropheus DemasonI but that's probably pushing it a bit. Not sure if 29gal is tall enough but one of our other members might be able to recommend if it would be suitable for breeding Discus.

rollo

geeez, I hopw that you actually know all the bio latin names by heart, iT WOULD HAVE TAKEN ME AN HOUR TO TYPE THOSE COMPLEX NAMES, I do have a 75 gallon set up with rb parrotts and a couple of frontosas, 4 silver dollars and four rainbow basmani. that take too is overcrowded as the humpy's will be huge one day. tnx for the imput . today it doesn't look like the male is holding but he does not eat. he chases the female still I will keepo you informed as to what happens

maverick4300

that's surprising to hear that males K.cichlid holding. Anyways, anything is possible in a fishy world

rollo

well, he didn't hold for very long, just a couple of days. The good news is that they spawned last nite, and the female has them as normal. let's hope she is successful this time round.

rollo

situation is stable for now . they spawned on april 7 and she is still holding.

Nutter

I didn't think the male would hold them for long as it's just not natural to him. Hopefully this spawn works out better for you. If you can it would be worth moving the holding female to another tank so the male is not harassing her. If you can't do that then put a divider into the tank. Anotehr two females would be the best solution but may be harder to get at a a similar size to your current fish.

rollo

tnx NUTTER, I will move her in a week or two, he is not bothering her too much as she has an excellent hideaway. Your right it is very hard to find adult chiclids . I'm now kooling for an adult female frontoso. The two I have were the same at two inches but now the male is nearly 6 inches and the female maybe 3. I hope she starts a growth spurt soon.

rollo

No luck again, the female KenyI ate her eggs after one week. She seems starved and is eating I put in her tank. The male seems happy to chase her again. Next time I will try and quarantine her. Perhaps if she is not tempted, she won't get hungry.

rollo

well they spawned agn and it appears that the male has the eggs. He is hiding and the female has complete run of the tank. This in itself is extremely odd. If he doesn't have the eggs what is he tumbling all the time and why would seclude himself? His health is fine but not eating. Rollo

rollo

He has been doing this now for abt 10 days. Guess I'll know soon eneogh.

rollo

he died. Have no idea why. Stopped eating and spent his last days gasping at the top. He jumped out.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom