Spawning Behaviour? Or Just Having A Serpae Party?

LadyGrey

My 11 serpaes are all swarming around one little plant and acting a bit aggressive with each other -- they've been doing this for the last hour or so. Is this spawning behaviour? They are the only fish in this tank (29g) and I've only had them for a few days. Maybe they are battling for dominance over the nice plant?

Morpheus1967

They don't like odd numbers. They are either looking for #12, or trying to figure out how to get rid of #11.

Seriously, probably just establishing the hierarchy. Should settle down in a couple of days. Unless that plant is really nice, then all bets are off.

PeteStevers

Hard to say. I have a couple Serpae's and sometimes they act a little aggressive towards each other going in and out of plants but, I've never seen any results from the behavior. For all I know they are just two males (not that there's anything wrong with that). Not sure how to tell male from female. They look the same to me.

kallililly1973

Serpae are fun fish imo they are constantly chasing each other around in my tank as well ... and never see any signs of damage to each other so I bet it’s just their own little game in their own little world

LadyGrey

Morpheus1967 said:
They don't like odd numbers. They are either looking for #12, or trying to figure out how to get rid of #11.

Seriously, probably just establishing the hierarchy. Should settle down in a couple of days. Unless that plant is really nice, then all bets are off.
Oh no, not you too! The girl at the pet store was also making fun of me for wanting 11 serpaes, not 10, not 12 .

Hey, it's a pretty nice plant! I just added a pearl gouramI (wanted to get him in before the serpaes decided they owned the whole tank) and the horde has decided they will tolerate his existence but he's not allowed near their special plant .

nikm128

I thought everyone was a joking, do they really want even number schools? Fascinating

Morpheus1967

nikm128 said:
I thought everyone was a joking, do they really want even number schools? Fascinating
Na I was joking. Just seems like an odd number of fish to ask for (no pun intended) when 12 is like right there.

LadyGrey

The corys have been granted access to the special plant, but only for twice daily housekeeping .

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom