spawning angels Help

1. teresaboucher Initiate Member

I was told by store that my fish is male...I have recently gotten two others..i come home after being one a few days to tons of eggs and some are white..the one who is supposed to be male is guarding and looks like fertilizing over and over wont let the two who look like females near..he has this pointed thing hanging down... is he fertilizing or his he a she..im new at fish in general

2. Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

Although my angelfish knowledge is limited the one with the pointed thing is male. He is fertilising the eggs. Angelfish are usually biparental and both will guard the eggs. However it can take a while for an angelfish pair to work out how to do parent right, around several tries give or take a few.

Sorry if I sound critical but next time could you use paragraphs spaces? I had to read your post 3 times over to make sense of it.

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I don't think the LFS was completely honest with you. I don't think they would really be able to tell what Genders the Angelfish were unless he saw them while they were breeding or were adopting them out for someone who had seen them breed.
    They can be hard to sex and best time is during breeding when the papilla comes out. Males pointed, females rounded, but can still be hard to tell.

The white eggs have fungus and have died, they will eventually learn to eat those so they don't contaminate the other eggs.

As for the one guarding, are they just rubbing their underside or fanning as well?

Sometimes two females will pair up and lay eggs as well.
    I've even had Angels lay eggs just by themselves and keep the others away,
    While I've had a pair mate lay eggs and the males chases off the female,
    I've honestly had every combination with Angels.

Can you get a picture?

4. teresaboucher Initiate Member

Heres the boy?? With eggs..he may be fanning..no more eggs seems to appear but this pointed protrusion on his under side does..been doing this for several hours

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

5. teresaboucher Initiate Member

Another

Attached Files:

6. teresaboucher Initiate Member

Heres what I thought were females

Attached Files:

7. teresaboucher Initiate Member

Should I remove fish? Leave alone? Remove all but fanning fish? Oh my im so nervous and excited

8. Crissandra331 Member Member

Well to don't take my word for it cause I couldn't get a real good look at the picture, but the one with the eggs actually to me sounds like a female, and like she was still laying eggs, they can sometimes lay for many hours. It's super cute when they start fanning them. I would say just leave everything alone, Her isolating herself is kind of a good sign for your other fish cause if they were to pair up your 3rd Angel would really take a beating till the eggs or fry were removed. Right now she's gonna be focused on caring for the eggs and just keeping the other 2 far enough away but not so far she leaves her eggs unattended chasing them off. So she will be a busy little bee and in the meantime your other two Angels will catch on to kind of give her some space :)

9. teresaboucher Initiate Member

Well thank you for all your help. Im disappointed, got up this morning and almost all the eggs have turned white. Shes still fanning. Should I remove them? She isnt eating them.

10. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yes, I'd let her finish up probably by tomorrow they will be gone but don't be discouraged! I have a female that has paired up with a few different males and the last male she paired up with was Minibar my red koi and they breed about every 7-10 days. It took them a little while to figure things out, like almost a year to learn how to fertilize the eggs. Over-breeding has caused degeneration in some angelfish, they've been bred so long in Aquaria that they gain certain colors and fin shapes but also start to in lack other areas, as in caring for young, searching for food etc cause these things are no longer needed in captivity, if that makes sense?

Your angels will trial and error quite a bit starting out but they will slowly learn certain tasks they've forgotten. Though some are just so overbred that they will never fully be able to brood fry in their natural mother father state. But mine have gotten as far as sucking them from the shells to free swimming for a few days, then slowly eating all the babies. If you'd like to raise fry if you can get them to free swimming they can be sucked out & then you can care from them for there. But before free-swimming stage you would have to use fungicides to keep the eggs from rotting cause the parents wont be there to fan & clean them.

11. teresaboucher Initiate Member

Thank you so much..

12. Crissandra331 Member Member

Your very welcome...

& just a heads up from one Angel owner to another... When they breed they are VERY PROTECTIVE...first time I got bit it scared me...last time I got BIT it almost knocked me on my butt..so their stronger and more fierce than they look!

Good Luck

13. teresaboucher Initiate Member

Oh my thank you