Sparkly fish!?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by ilovemynewfish, Dec 7, 2012.

1. ilovemynewfish

ilovemynewfish New Member Member

My barbs are looking sparkly...I have read online this could be ich. However, they don't look like raised bumps, in fact, you can't even see them when they are facing a certain way. They just look like pretty sparkles. They weren't there the other day. I noticed them last night, and checked this morning, still sparkly, still not raised bumps or anything. Wondering if it is from the stress coat I added? Or maybe they are getting healthier? My tank is set at 77 degrees..is this okay? Also update on the sick tetra...he's swimming around with his friends again! Hurray! Yesterday he couldn't go near the other tetras, they swam away from him. Today he seems to be doing much better. Success!!! I am really beginning to love these guys.....:;hug2

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum

What kind of barbs are they?

3. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like velvet, which is sort of like a photosynthetic ich

4. OP
    OP
    ilovemynewfish

IMG-20121207-00094.jpg Not sure! They were given to me. I am guessing golden?? They are a silvery colour with orange fins and tails. I am just guessing based on looking at pictures on google. I will take a picture of them! I know the tank looks barren and dirty...I am working on it! If you read my previous posts you will understand!! Rescue mission! Thanks for the help.

5. Jaysee

Those are tetras - maybe buenos aires tetras? Yup, 3 BAs and 2 neons.

6. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Those are tetras ;)

7. OP
    OP
    ilovemynewfish

Oh wow! Thanks for the help! I identified the neon tetras okay then!! Hahaha!

8. OP
    OP
    ilovemynewfish

Can you help me identify this guy? I was thinking siamese algae eater..but after thinking those tetras were barbs I don't know. You guys are awesome! IMG-20121207-00095.jpg

9. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

You are correct. That is a Siamese Algae Eater fish. Below is some information on it:

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/algae-control/siamese.php

P.S. Make sure you have a secure lid and backing to your tank. This fellow has a tendency of jumping out of fish tanks. Just thought I'd add that extra information.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  10. Jaysee

Looks like a SAE to me.

You can determine what family of fish by the fin structure - tetras had an adipose fin in front of their tail. Cyranids (barbs, etc) have only a dorsal fin. Rainbows have a double dorsal fin, etc.

11. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

I think you have a black neon tetra in there maybe? Jaysee where can you learn about how to identify fish? I am very interested

12. Jaysee

I've kept fish for almost 10 years now, and have been fishing for 25 years. I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was a kid, so I was given some fish identification books, which I've read cover to cover many times over the years. Those were for game fish, but the principles are the same for aquarium fish - fish of the same genus/family look the same, and the physical characteristics of the fish are a big part of why they were put in their respective genus/family.

If you study pictures of fish, you'll notice that each different type has a different fin structure. Cichlids, rainbows, tetras, barbs, catfish, killis, gouramis, etc - they all have their own distinct fin array.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice