Sparkling Gouramis

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by FoulFishes, Dec 4, 2012.

1. FoulFishesValued MemberMember

I think i'm giving up on getting Sparkling Gouramis. My LFS that had them but just recently crossed out "Sparkling Gourami" on the sign and wrote "Croaking Gourami" in its place, but its the exact same fish that they had when I was there a week before! I don't think they know which they are selling, so I don't want to buy a few Croaking Gouramis that I thought were Sparkling, then it turns out they get bigger than supposed to, bully each other, attack my small fish...oh well, its just frustrating that they aren't marketing their fish correctly. That could be and even bigger deal with some species.

2. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

Sparkling Gouramis are also known as Croaking Gouramis. When they get excited they can make a clicking noise.

Ken

3. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

Yeah, it's the same fish.

4. FoulFishesValued MemberMember

See, I was told by other members that there are 3 types of Pygmy Gouramis, and two of them (one which is called Croaking) get bigger than the Sparkling Gourami. I'd link the forum if I knew how, but its also in this section called "Croaking & Sparkling".
    I've been worried for a while now about getting any because there is a specific species that I am interested in, I was informed that species is the only one referred to as Sparkling Gouramis, and that Croaking was a misuse of the title.

5. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello,

I pretty certain that Lucy has had or has Sparkling Gouramis and they also croak. Hopefully she'll see this and respond.

Ken

6. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

You need to be a little careful here.

If they are Pygmy Sparkling Gourami (Trichopsis Pumila), they have been known to be called pygmy croaking gourami. I kept them for a while, but unfortunately, my tank was not mature enough for them, and they perished :(
    One of the most magical species I've tried to keep. We have a profile here on Fishlore: https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb09/sparkling-gourami.htm

If they are Croaking Gourami (Trichopsis vittata), then that's different. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croaking_gourami

Scientific names are very important when it comes to this common name.

7. LucyModeratorModerator Member

:) What Ryan said. lol
    Ask the scientific name before you buy.

Check out this link. Scroll to the bottom.

In my experience people (especially stores) use the term sparkling gourami and croaking gourami interchangeably.
    I've ended up with 2 different species.

Even the smallest will get aggressive when spawning.

8. FoulFishesValued MemberMember

This is my exact issue. I wanted the Pumila, not the Vittata, but they changed the common name and the scientific name on their little card, but its the same fish i've been looking at! Maybe they realized what they had was wrong, or maybe someone that "Croaking" was more marketable. They raised the price a bit too...anyway, i'm sorry if i'm asking alot of questions, but i've been finding a lack of information on these fish so I turn to reliable sources on fishlore.:)

1. Could a single Croaking Gourami be housed in a community tank without that bring out his abusive side?
    2. Can Croaking Gouramis be housed together in the same tank like the Sparkling Gouramis can?
    3. How big can they actually get? I wanted to do a couple Sparkling Gouramis as a center piece type fish, but I might just wind up with these Croaking Gouramis, if thats what they really are.
    4. Anyone know similarities both fish have? How do they differ, and which do you prefer?

I actually wanted a Pea Puffer originally for a center piece, didn't think that would fly too well with the other fish though so then I decided on a Dwarf Gourami, then I found the Sparkling Gouramis and thought they were perfect. Maybe I should just give up on the center piece, or just get another Bolivian Ram haha.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  9. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Hi Foulfishes,
    I think most of your answers are in the links Lucy and I posted ;)

10. LucyModeratorModerator Member

1) Yes. As long as the other tank mates are peaceful and not big enough to eat it.

2) Yes. Although the male can get aggressive during spawning.

3) I wouldn't consider them a center piece fish. The can be rather shy and like a lot of cover.
    They don't have the same bulk like say a DG or Honey.

4) Although looking at the pictures in the links it looks easy to tell the difference these differences are subtle when they are young (again, just my experience)

11. FoulFishesValued MemberMember

I actually have been looking at Honey Gouramis as well. I am kinda iffy about them because I don't usually go for fish that are all one color cause they end up looking really plain to me. I see what you mean though about them being more bulky like a centerpiece fish. So I guess i'm trying to decide between Sparkling/Croaking Gouramis or Honeys possibly. I think the LFS has some other small sized Gouramis that i've never heard of. I will try and get some names to do research and see what you guys think about those particular species.

One more question though, Lucy, you said you had both Croaking and Sparkling accidently, which did you prefer in your tank, like which was the more interesting pet? Does the croaking become obnoxious say if you were trying to rest or something?

12. LucyModeratorModerator Member

lol, they're not that loud or constant.
    It's actually kind of a cute clicking noise.
    There are some videos on youtube.

Behavior wise I couldn't tell the difference.

What size tank do you have?

13. FoulFishesValued MemberMember

I actually really like the idea of having a talking fish haha.
    Any Gouramis would be for my 20 gallon tropical community tank.

14. LucyModeratorModerator Member

Yeah, it's pretty cool.
    Give them a try if you want. Just have a back up in case they spawn.

I've never kept a Honey but some here on the forum recommend them for your size tank.
    My DG loved the room it had in my 30 more than a 20.
    They get a little bigger than Honey's.
    I understand that their temperaments are different also.
    Can't say from personal experience.

Here in the US DG's aren't very hardy. I love them though. Such personality!
    My husband talks to them and waggles his finger at them when we're at the store.
    I know he wants one.
    I tried them twice. Lost both to what I believe was Dwarf Gourami Disease.

15. FoulFishesValued MemberMember

I thought about Dwarf Gouramis when I first got into the hobby, cause they are very interesting fish. But I decided against them cause like you said, they are not very hardy, i've heard that from many people. And because I feel like everyone gets Dwarf Gouramis as centerpiece fish, haha.

I checked my LFS last night. All they had were Trichopsis vittata & Colisa sota. Everything else were just other variations of the Dwarf Gourami, or larger species.

16. LucyModeratorModerator Member

The Trichopsis Vittata should 'talk'
    I think they do that when they feel threatened or protective of the bubble nest/eggs.
    At least that's kind of what I noticed the most clicking.

Colisa Sota is a Honey.

17. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

C.Sota are one of the prettiest honeys. The males are stunning. I personally wouldn't keep a Vittata single. They are a group oriented fish much like T.leeri. Obviously they don't school but you will see more natural behaviors in groups and you will see more of them. A single Vittata may not be seen all that much and imo, they don't make the greatest centerpieces. A pair of Sota's would do wonders. Dwarfs are pretty hard to get good stock of these days. The only tips i give there is to never buy the color variants, much more likely to have issues ime, also they are a 1 per tank deal.

The issue i find is that for some unknown reason, people seem to think that Pygmy and Croaking are the same fish. I don't know why for the life of me. One is a super small little guy and the other gets 3" long. I used to think Vittata were small until i saw them myself. Nothing less then 20gals for a species tank and 29 for a community if you keep them in groups(a male:female trio might work)

18. FoulFishesValued MemberMember

Yes, I agree with you. Even some people that own Pygmy Gouramis use Croaking and Sparkling as if they were the same fish. Makes it really annoying when trying to find a particular one. Thats like refering to all Corydoras as "Pygmy Catfish" instead of just the 3 Pygmy corys.

Dwarf Gourami isdefinately out of the question. But I might look into getting a pair of Honey gouramis or a few Croaking Gouramis. I'm also considering a small school of Emperor Tetras because I might not have room for them in my biotope tank.

19. soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

If you are interested, there are a few other species I can suggest. One of which is the Banded gourami. Super hardy, same family as dwarfs and honeys. they are green with blue stripes and red fins. Very cool little guys, females are very colorful too. I kept a trio of girls, prettier then most male gourami imo.
    Here is a pic of 2 of them the day they came home, they are a little faded but the pic shows some of their colors.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  20. FoulFishesValued MemberMember

Unfortunately I don't think they are available around here, i've never seen or heard of those before. Though, yours look very nice! I like the colors equally/better than Dwarfs!