Sparkling Gouramis - What Do You Think?

1. filtered_light Member Member

How do they get along in community tanks? I read that they are good for communities, but would love to hear first hand experiences. Also curious what water parameters and community numbers they like, and if they stay at the top of the tank or if they mostly hide in the middle?

They look pretty.
  2. graceo Member Member

I actually don't have them in a community tank, so I can't help you there. They are spoiled brats and get the whole tank to themselves besides the Cory cats.
    They are very adorable and they actually croak!! Like a frog!! You can hear it outside of the water it's pretty loud whenever they duel haha. Also mine hang in the lower half of the tank

3. filtered_light Member Member

How many do you have? Do they duel often? Thanks for the insights!
  4. graceo Member Member

I have 2. They duel a fair amount, they kinda circle each other and then flop on top of one another while croaking, it's hilarious.

5. filtered_light Member Member

lol sounds it :)
  6. Five 97 Well Known Member Member

I keep a pair in a 10g, and have never heard them croaking. I've heard somewhere that females will often sometimes make a purring sound to initiate spawning.
    But I've never heard them making either sounds, so I guess I just somehow got mute SG's.
    Some fkeepers have reported that they prey on small freshwater shrimp from genera like Caridina and Neocaridina. I can imagine them hunting down babies and snacking on them, but I've yet to see mine tackling adult shrimp.

Their really fun little fish though, I especially find their blue/green eyes attractive.
  7. Miaw Member Member

I saw this while making a thread warning people about how ruthless they are with shrimp. They are great, interesting fish. They act like there's something going on in their mind.

Just don't house them with shrimpies! They took out a colony of 40-50 shrimp ranging from babies to full size adult. There were no bodies. They even take off the swimmerets from adults.

They were red cherry shrimp.

Here are some Pictures. You can see how the males posture with eachother. It's cool. Sadly the one with that spot had to be euthanised :(

8. filtered_light Member Member

Just saw this. Your fish are beautiful! Sorry for the one you lost. Thanks for the warning about shrimp! They look so innocent too, all sparkly.