Sparkling Gourami

1. xshainax Well Known Member Member

2. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Your DG would most certainly harrass them.

3. xshainax Well Known Member Member

Is it bad I regret buying him?

4. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Not so much and yes. I have a DG and i wouldnt trade him for the world. He is a great fish and i love his personailty, i just wish some times that i could add some other gourami or similar species to the tank. However, its all part of fishkeeping and sacrafices.

5. xshainax Well Known Member Member

I made the mistake of putting him in my community tank with a halfmoon betta and he killed him so thats when my hatred of him grew, but he does add a little bit of personality to my aquarium

6. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

i've never had a DG...just honeys...but i love my sparklers! they are so cute, and they talk to each other. very entertaining. but i wouldn't put them in with a DG.

7. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Look, thats your fault and yours alone, dont be mad with him its not his fault. Im not trying to be mean but own the mistake, we all make them. I tried adding a paradise goruami when i first started, barley seperated them in time.

8. xshainax Well Known Member Member

I thought he would calm down after I put more fake plants in the aquarium so I put another Halfmoon betta in there. Thank God I saw him going after the other and separated them.

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Nope, DG do not get along with betta anymore then a betta does.

10. xshainax Well Known Member Member

Lol he is TERRIFIED of my clown pleco and mystery snails

11. jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

that's why i like honey gouramis. much easier to stock a tank around...and much more easy going. you could always rehome the DG....like give him back to the lfs..and get something else. i've done this many times. you don't necessarily have to feel stuck with him...

12. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Though in somes opinion you do owe some responcibility to him.....

13. xshainax Well Known Member Member

He has gotten better after I put a live plant in the aquarium and he has been staying out more.

14. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like hes lightening up, they can be shy at first. Why not add some schooling fish? They are typically cool with schoolers. Disregard my last post btw, i relize it was too opinionated. There was a thread a while back that got into the ethics of wether we owe our fish to keep them or wether its ok to trade them at will. Obvioulsy, we see where i stand. Hes your fish, you can do as you wish with him, i will not judge, nor should anyone else. Again, i apologize.

[​IMG] this is my DG, hes larger then most but still i love him so. He runs my 29 with an iron fin alongside my goldbarbs. In actuality he is very calm and peacful so long as i dont add any fish that irk him

15. xshainax Well Known Member Member

Aww he is cute and I am keeping him since he gives me comic relief. This morning he dive bombed my micky mouse platy then attacked his reflection

16. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

X_x lol. He wasnt being too hard on the platy was he? If he seems to get agressive to much with them, give him a mirror and a cave.

17. xshainax Well Known Member Member

He has a small cave where he spends most his time but the platy turned and chased him away from the algae wafer they were munching on

18. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Ahh, yep the platy had it comming, they seem to be able to hold their own though. As you can see in the pic he was puppy guarding the new wood. He actually doesnt have any caves, just lots of plants and wood

19. xshainax Well Known Member Member

What I read they are sensitive to water changes and Max survived two ammonia spikes

20. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like you got a good one. Yes DG are extremely geneticly week. For the majority anyways. Particularly the ones exported from singaphore. However the good old hardy DG remain in the business aswell. I put mine through a LOT as a newby. Hes about the closest thing to a wild DG youll get though(hence his larger size). Very hardy indeed.