Sparkling gourami not eating

Eaton

He so I bought a sparkling gourami last week for my 8 gallon tank. I can’t get it to eat anything I have tried flakes, frozen rotifiers, frozen brine shrimp and live black worms and it won’t eat any of them, the black worms literally hit the gourami in the face and he or she(not sure the sex yet but I think male?) just ignored it and swam away. Just wondering if you guys have anymore suggestions?

CrackerboxPalace

If you get/make some garlic juice and soak foods in it before feeding, they're much more likely to eat it. My sparkling gourami didn't eat the first few days when I got them either, but there was a little more competition to be fair. Made some garlic juice and they started eating readily. It's wonderful for their health too :)

Upvote 0

Yeoy

If you bought it privately try asking the previous owner what they were feeding it?

Also if you have other fish in the tank that are more active eaters e.g. tetras, seeing them eat might encourage your gourami and convince it that the food you're feeding it is food.

Upvote 0

Eaton

If you bought it privately try asking the previous owner what they were feeding it?

Also if you have other fish in the tank that are more active eaters e.g. tetras, seeing them eat might encourage your gourami and convince it that the food you're feeding it is food.
there in there by them selves

Upvote 0

Eaton

If you get/make some garlic juice and soak foods in it before feeding, they're much more likely to eat it. My sparkling gourami didn't eat the first few days when I got them either, but there was a little more competition to be fair. Made some garlic juice and they started eating readily. It's wonderful for their health too :)
how did you get garlic juice and should i just dip the food in or soak it for a coupple minutes

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

how did you get garlic juice and should i just dip the food in or soak it for a coupple minutes
I blitz two cloves of garlic in a small food processor then strain the liquid out and mix it with a few drops of water. then just soak the food in it for maybe 30 seconds.

Upvote 0

Eaton

ok thanks what kind of food were you feeding?

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

At thetime it was API betta pellets but now I've switched over to BioScape insectivore granules. You can do the same thing with any food, might not work as well with flake food though.

Upvote 0

Eaton

i just tried it with flakes and it defiantly got the gouramis interest normally he ignores everthing i put in there so i might try some other foods

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

Glad to help :)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Eaton
Replies
Views
David3738