Sparkling Gourami Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by LittleMissSaasha, Aug 2, 2017.

1. LittleMissSaasha

LittleMissSaasha New Member Member

Hi!
    So I am think of getting some little sparkling gouramis for my ~35gallon tank (140L) and I would LOVE to hear your experiences with them! I also have a few questions:

1) Minimum group size (can they live happily as a solo fish? Do they need some buddies?)
    2) How are they with tetras and faster tank mates? (My list is down below)
    3) Can they be aggressive during breeding season?
    4) Are they highly territorial?

Planted Tank (with driftwood, rocks and a good number of plants - more of those on the way as well)
    Cycled and with stable levels
    11x Cardinal & Neon Tetras
    6x Rummynose Tetras
    5x Danios
    2x BN Plecos
    Maybe some ember tetras (depending on stocking levels)
    Maybe some Kuhli loaches (again, depending)

Thank you! :D

2. JeffK

JeffK Well Known Member Member

OK - let me say right up front that I've never kept them personally, but I have read many times that you do have to choose tankmates carefully or the sparklers may be outcompeted for food. I think a lot of those speedy schooling danios and tetras you mentioned may swim circles around them at feeding time. But wait for others who have actually kept them to chime in as well!

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I have also not kept them so my response is based on research only
    They should be kept in pairs or groups, not alone.
    They are small and timid so can easily be outcompete for food.
    You won't need to worry about spawning as they are bubble nesters and can't make bubble nests in the majority of community tanks.

I wouldn't add any ember tetras as you are a bit overstocked already

4. OP
    OP
    LittleMissSaasha

LittleMissSaasha New Member Member

I had a strong feeling my tank was reaching its limits with the stocking - thanks for the heads up. :)

Thanks for the help everyone. I will definitely think about this. Food shouldn't be too big an issue in their case as I feed my fish via pippettes so everyone gets their share.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice