Sparking Gourami Tips and Tricks?

Michelle2468135

Next weekend i'm planning on adding sparkling gourami to my heavily planted, cycled, 20 gallon tank. The tank has had ottos, pygmy cories, and amano shrimp in it for a little over a month now and I plan on keeping them with the gourami. Anyway, I was wondering if you guys have any useful information on them that could help me give them the best life possible. Obviously, I have done extensive research on them already but every fish keeper has some good tips and tricks that are not on the internet. Also: Do you have any tips on feeding? Like their favorite foods and feeding techniques? Any recommendations on how any to put in the tank? I was thinking 6 or 7 but i'm not sure.
Thanks

CTYankee79

I think jinjerJOSH22 knows his sparkling Gouramis
I’ve never kept them myself but they are on the list

Upvote 0

PascalKrypt

My recommendation: get as many as would not completely block the view from the front. Seriously, I would recommend 10 as a minimum. Sparklers (close relative of betta and paradise fish) are actually surprisingly aggressive to each other and I've heard from several people that have kept fewer than 5 where they ended up tearing each other apart. I've kept 10 for a good number of months now and they co-exist peacefully. Numbers crowd out bullying and dominance fixation. You don't have to worry about them bothering your other fish though, they only bother conspecifics if at all.
Small shrimp are popular prey but they will leave the (much) larger amano alone.

They have small mouths and should be fed mostly smaller, fine foods. Dried foods should be readily accepted but you can grind e.g. large flakes with your fingers a bit. The occassional live or dried small foods (like white mosquito larvae or daphnia) should be consumed which much gusto (and they will be good entertainment for you to watch).

As for feeding techniques, they are surprisingly bold when it comes to food. You don't have to worry about them eating enough.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

What my wife PascalKrypt says

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

OooOh relatives

Upvote 0

Lucy

Sparklers are great little fish. They are especially cute with they start chattering.

The only thing I would add is there might be some aggression when mating. I had to separate mine. It's pretty cool to watch dad chasing the little ones to spit them back in the nest.
This may be an unpopular opinion but I enjoyed mine in a smaller tank, Once I moved them to a larger tank they became shy and disappeared amongst the plants.

Have fun I'm sure you'll love them!

Upvote 0

altwitch

My experience with 2 males/ 4 females in the tank is the males tend to spar with each other and whichever one is left feeling insecure goes and chases the females around the tank to prove his manhood. #mefishmovement. I have a hypothesis that with only one male if you can do it would work better in a group of say 8, but untested. They share the tank with gold barbs, an angel, SAEs and otocinclus catfish and have no out-species aggression issues. Biggest thing I'd say is they can be very aggressive at feed time so BPT to use some sinking food or managing things in other ways - they pretty much starved out the cherry barbs that were there when they arrived. Big difference from my Pearls who are as peaceful as can be.

Upvote 0

LeahsTank

Following as I just purchased 3 of these little jewels today. There were only 3 for me to bring home. I will be going back to grab more as the LFS restores their stock. So far, these little guys have me mezmorized.

Upvote 0

altwitch

They're a beautiful fish. I have them in my tank at work right in front of my desk so I get to watch them all day long. The males are especially striking IMHO. While they do micro-agress against each other it takes more the tone of jousting, or more modernly rap battles than actual hostility. My biggest concern is them intimidating the females as one of my girls is about half the size of the largest - could just be genetics but suspect it's food related. I can't always observe feedings as they're on an auto feeder in the evenings.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I've only had mine for a few weeks, in a 20 long on a filing cabinet at the end of my desk, along with pygmy corys, kubotai rasboras, dwarf emerald danios, and celestial pearl danios. I'm really enjoying them, but I plan to add at least 5 more very soon on advice I got from jinjerJOSH22 in another discussion.

Upvote 0

Michelle2468135

Thank you all! Very helpful.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace
  • Question
Replies
Views