Spare Ten Gallon Tank

SBarrett312

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi what should I do with a spare ten gallon tank? I was thinking maybe a crab or a crayfish tank. Definitely don’t want to keep standard fish in it. Any advice? Thanks

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Well, you can keep 3 Dwarf Mexican Crayfish in a 10. They're pretty simple, but definitely look up care requirements anyway. They do have a few specialized needs.

Otherwise, you're a bit limited on freshwater crabs. The only ones I can think of are Thai Micro Crabs and Freshwater Pom Pom Crabs, and I've never heard of either doing super well for long periods of time. Micro Crabs will be almost too tiny to keep track of in a 10, and Pom Poms can be sorta hard to get.

If you're willing to get a bit salty (brackish, actually) you can do a single Red Claw Crab in a 10. They do require some land in their tank, as well as brackish water, but care is pretty simple other than that.

If none of those really pique your interest, you could always do a shrimp tank. If you're not a fan of the usual varieties (Cherry shrimp, ghosts, etc.), look into wood and bamboo shrimp. They're filter feeders, so, again, special care, but they're definitely different and more crayfish-like.

The only other inverts that I could think of require saltwater, so unless you're into that (and prepared for it), choices are a bit limited.

Fredward

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could definitely do red claw crabs. I've always liked the look of them but never enough to dedicate an entire setup to them.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
JLeeM said:
This is the boring suggestion, but you could always keep your spare as a quarantine or hospital tank.
+1 to this, as well.

Always helps to have a QT around.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 10g QT that is active. Normally it’s not but I’m expecting new fish.

You don’t have to use the 10 for a QT. You could use a plastic tote bin as well if you want to use the 10g for crabs or pet rocks.

Lorekeeper

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'd recommend to use a 40 gallon, Food-safe tote for a QT. Easier to store, and it frees up the 10 gallon.

Salty Betta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
phantom said:
no but can be useful if anything happens to any of your tanks
Well most people on this forum say so, and I have a spare ten gallon tank with a filter with established bacteria anyways, so well better safe than sorry i guess...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom