Spare 2.5 Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jess3434, Apr 8, 2017.

1. j

jess3434 Valued Member Member

Hello all, I have an extra 2.5 gallon tank lying around after I upgraded to a larger tank. I do not think that I want another betta, as I have 2 already and I was wondering what kind of animals can go in it. I know it is too small for other fish, but are there shrimp or frogs that can live happily in it? Or can I make a small, all plant tank? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

2. Esimm03

Esimm03 Well Known Member Member

Hi,

You could put some Java moss in and make a small shrimp tank with mabey some crystal red shrimps or red cherry shrimp, but I'm not sure how many you could get.

You could also do some snails and plants but plants depend on what lighting you have for it, again someone else might be able to advise on numbers.

Ethan

3. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

I like the idea of a red cherry shrimp planted tank, perhaps with a couple nerite snails aswell.

4. ashenwelt

ashenwelt Well Known Member Member

You might also want to check out cardinal shrimp... Insanely simple water.

5. Esimm03

I would suggest only one nerite snail to begin with as they primeraly eat alge off the glass, if you get too many there could be a food shortage and you could get some deths.

Ethan

6. OP
    OP
    j

jess3434 Valued Member Member

Thank you everyone! I will look into the shrimp I think they are very interesting. Is there a big difference between ghost shrimp and RCS? My local petstore only offers ghost shrimp.

7. Esimm03

How big do they get and can I put them with ammano shrimp?

Ethan

8. ashenwelt

Slightly smaller than RCS. And Ammano seem to get along with everyone I have ever seen... Except no one gets along with ghost lol.

Ghost are aggressive and mostly colorless. RCS are often bread for colors.

I would check Craigslist and see if anyone local is selling shrimp.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  9. MaddieTaylah

MaddieTaylah Well Known Member Member

That's true actually.

10. ashenwelt

I am going to be putting a bunch Rolf rock peices in a jar with tank water to get them to cover with algae to help jump start a tank this month. You can do the same to feed your nerites. You may want to anyways. Also note the shrimp may take some bites as well.

11. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

A planted shrimp tank would be great!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice