Spangled cichlid with strange colour change

Bridget1010

Hey guys just wondering why my spangled cichlid has changed colour in the face? Is this normal?
VideoCapture_20210423-153034.jpg

mrsP

I have no clue about changing color, but if I would see this individual without any prior knowledge of it, I would argue it's a chimera. Meaning it has dna and cells of more than 1 individual. You see that straight line in the middle of it's head? It's really visible below mouth, and more subtle over, but it's there. If that would be the case, it would be rare, but normal. I wouln't expect this fish to breed in that case, since one half could be female and other could be male. If you google chimera in biology, you see lots of images to compare.

But that being said, this is assumtion baced on the line in middle of this fishes head, nothing more. I will be interested to read what people who know more will say.

Bridget1010

Oh okay i will have a read about that thankyou, i got him or her with another that a man used as a breeding pair, its face has all of a sudden changed and i found a baby fish in my tank that looks simmilar to them but i am unsure if it is.
It is still growing inside a temporary net i have set up for it.
But this spangled cichlid stays with the other spangled cichlid 24/7 inside my big airoplaine and they come out to eat.
I have had them for about 1 year now and they both seem healthy.
My water is regularly tested aswel everything is normal
With my cleaning routine 1 time a fortnight

mrsP

If it breeds, that's great. And if he's healthy, I'm sure that's nothing to worry about.

edit: that being said, I still have no idea why he's face has chagend color. Sorry.

LowConductivity

Happens somewhat frequently in Apistogramma... best explanation I've seen chalked the change up to something like a neurological event/stroke. The few I've had go half black, didn't last all that long. Sorry.

chromedome52

From that head shot, I can't tell what species that is. "Spangled" is a description that fits several hundred species of cichlid, so just curious which one this is.

The color change is pretty much as lowconductivity describes it, a neurological injury or the result of an infection. I've had it happen on a few fish, and none have survived for me, either.

TClare

I was wondering what species as well, I looked it up and spangled cichlid appears to be Limnochromis auritus according to all the first results I got on google. Although cichlids often change colour temporarily according to mood I have not seen anything like that before.

Bridget1010

All i know is it got sold to me from the breeder with that name and when i go onto google this is what i get.. and it looks the same as the photo of that fish?

Screenshot_20210424-063922_Samsung Internet.jpg

Now thinking about it.. when i last done my fish tank clean i noticed one of them was up the top of the fishtank acting so strange moving about so weirdly gasping for air at the surface they always stay at the bottom of my fish tank? It was the only fish acting like that every other fish was totally normal

TClare

Bridget1010 said:
All i know is it got sold to me from the breeder with that name and when i go onto google this is what i get.. and it looks the same as the photo of that fish?

Screenshot_20210424-063922_Samsung Internet.jpg
The
Now thinking about it.. when i last done my fish tank clean i noticed one of them was up the top of the fishtank acting so strange moving about so weirdly gasping for air at the surface they always stay at the bottom of my fish tank? It was the only fish acting like that every other fish was totally normal
Yes, that is L. Auritus. It does sound like something may have happened as suggested by LowConductivity and Chromedome52, and unfortunately from their experiences the prognosis doesn’t sound too hopeful. Does the fish seem OK now, apart from the colour change? Is it eating and behaving normally now? I hope it recovers, let us know...

Bridget1010

It is behaving and acting completly fine apart from the colour change on the face, i hope it recovers.

Bridget1010

Got home from a day out came home to check on the fish and it seems to be getting darker and spreading across the lip
I also noticed its breathing erratic whilst the other fish are all slowly breathing

VideoCapture_20210424-165622.jpg

VideoCapture_20210424-165607.jpg

MacZ

It looks like you keep the fish in a standard setup. May I ask for your readings on pH, GH, and KH?

East africans can have similar colour changes for other reasons, but I haven't seen these in Tanganyikans.
I know Cyrtocara moorii from Lake Malawi might develop a preferred side to turn to the females when displaying which can result in similar colour changes and patterns.

Latest threads

Top Bottom