Spam!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by soarl, Jan 5, 2013.

1. soarl

soarlValued MemberMember

No not the email/forum kind. I mean the yummy delicious meat like substance pressed into a can waiting for my consumption!

It made it to number 66 of the 101 fast foods that changed the world! How many different ways can you prepare this man made food of the gods? When I was a kid we had open faced slt sandwiches. A slice of spam, a leaf of lettuce, a slice of tomato and a square of american cheese baked on an English muffin. Yum! I've also taken to cubing up some spam and tossing it in my Mac-N-Cheese for a little added flavor.

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

I just love it cut up and thrown in with my baked beans. Can't be beat.

3. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I was getting ready to post "Thanks, but please use the report button next time"

Oh what.... you didn't think that title would get the attention of the moderators! :giggle:

Interesting fact: The term SPAM is not an acronym for anything when referring to unsolicited e-mail etc. Welcome e-mail is known as HAM, unwelcome (bad) is known as SPAM.

I've never had SPAM, the closest I get to processed meats is the occasional McDonalds.

4. OP
    OP
    soarl

soarlValued MemberMember

Mmmm...love the McRib...just don't ever look up what they make it out of!

5. Tigress Hill

Tigress HillWell Known MemberMember

Oh, I know what it's made of;:barf I've never eaten McDonalds, or Spam for that matter.

6. OP
    OP
    soarl

soarlValued MemberMember

There is really nothing in a McRib (aside from the preservatives) that's all that bad. Just stuff that people of the modern world might find a little disgusting.

7. oscarsbud

Spam is just pork with some salt, sugar, potato starch, water and sodium nitrate. So it's not really "mystery meat" - just really good. Also good fried with a little brown sugar.

8. Ziggi

ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

wow... no hotdogs, hamburgers, sausage, or scrapple? You haven't lived! :;laughing (I kid! x_X; I need to be more careful with the meats I eat!)

Scrapple and hotdogs are the closest I've come to Spam... well ... I touched it once, we had to write a Spam-ku (Haiku about Spam) in High School. I think my mom liked it fried ... I'll try anything once though! Send me some! :)

9. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I love Spam.

1. Slice spam into strips
    2. Saute onions, garlic and spam strips
    3. Add a pinch of black pepper and salt
    4. Dice tomatoes and add to the saute
    5. Let all ingredients simmer together infusing each with its flavor
    6. Serve over a bed of fresh steamed white rice.

10. oscarsbud

That sounds like supper tomorrow night :).

11. cichlidman

cichlidmanWell Known MemberMember

I tryed spam once and will never eat it again. Something about ham in a can creeps me out!!!:;dogrun Thow im not a huge pork fan any way. But i love me some mc ribs

12. Oso

OsoWell Known MemberMember

spam, rice, beans, and fried plantains = yum :p

13. ryanr

Oh I've lived my friend, I just try and look after myself now :)

For anyone who wants to try the ugliest, most uninviting dish, but the most delicious meal ever - go to Venice (Italy) and order the Squid Ink Fettuccine!

14. OP
    OP
    soarl

soarlValued MemberMember

I'd give it a try!

15. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I don't normally eat processed meats as well with the exception of SPAM. I love the hickory smoked flavor.
    When I go to Hawaii, its masubi and spam ( A sushi roll )
    I don't eat it often ( high nitrates ) but I do love to have an occasional fried spam with mac and cheese!

16. oscarsbud

I don't do seafood - unless it comes already frozen and breaded. And I can't even watch the cooking shows when they are preparing stuff like that. I'll stick with the Spam.

17. ryanr

It's awesome, just kinda hard getting your head to eat something that black!

Now who's not living, huh :) :pokey:

I understand some people don't do seafood. Squid Ink is pre-prepared pasta :)

18. OP
    OP
    soarl

soarlValued MemberMember

I'd rather try something with squid ink in it than actual squid...which I've already tried so yeah...give me squid ink pasta!

19. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

I will not eat the stuff. My cousin and I used to fish for bullheads off of the dam in Austin, MN. Those things would eat nearly anything as bait. Bits of corn. Candy. Bread. Liver. Hot dogs. Worms. I've even caught two on unbaited hooks. One day, we had no money to buy bait, and Grandma's pantry was devoid of corn and bread. We saw the can of Spam and figured that it was meat, and if they ate any other kind of meat we gave them, they'd eat this stuff.

We did not get a bite. We spent two hours, and not a single attempt at the Spam.

If a bullhead won't eat it, then I sure as heck am not going to.

20. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice