Southern Purple Spotted Gudgeon (Mogurnda adspersa), anyone have one?

GlennO

If you have one I'm just wondering what you feed it. Mine wouldn't eat anything for a couple of weeks. Then I discovered that it would take small pieces of fresh prawn (shrimp). However my Rainbowfish also like it and it's difficult getting it down to him. I'd like to get him onto a wider range of food if I can.

qldmick

Hey mate I had a wild caught one I kept it in a filter less tank and fed half grown guppies I breed in my pond over summer.
I know this isn't great but I was a kid so what do you do?
Anyway I also caught a baby SPS Gudgeon in a cows footprint of water along with a Gambusia.
I think people in SEQ are breeding them now. You could message them on gumtree about what their feeding them, otherwise like other native fish I've had gone from fish pieces - pellets soaked with fish pieces - pellets.

BigManAquatics

Have you tried using some long tweezers or a coral feeder to get food down towards the bottom?

GlennO

Have you tried using some long tweezers or a coral feeder to get food down towards the bottom?

I haven't but it's a good idea and worth a try. I have some long plant tweezers. As long as it doesn't frighten him. It may not he seems pretty fearless.

My approach has been to drop in a bunch of pieces hoping that one will float down past him which has resulted in mixed success and some fat rainbowfish. I just hope he will eventually eat pellets I don't want to have to do this forever.

Yeoy

I was just about to suggest using a feeding tube but I think I just saw this post on FB - small world. The bigger gudgeons are pretty tough - they should start to recognise the tube as a source of food quite quickly.

GlennO

I was just about to suggest using a feeding tube but I think I just saw this post on FB - small world. The bigger gudgeons are pretty tough - they should start to recognise the tube as a source of food quite quickly.
Aussie Natives group? Yes I thought that was worth a try. You might be right they seem to be an intelligent fish.

Yeoy

Aussie Natives group? Yes I thought that was worth a try. You might be right they seem to be an intelligent fish.
I haven't used it on the purple spot, but when I had peacock gudgeons in a tank with boisterous top/middle dwellers, it was the easiest way to get them direct feedings. Also if it learns the tube brings food, might be easy to get it to take pellets or other prepared foods.

GlennO

I haven't used it on the purple spot, but when I had peacock gudgeons in a tank with boisterous top/middle dwellers, it was the easiest way to get them direct feedings. Also if it learns the tube brings food, might be easy to get it to take pellets or other prepared foods.
Just to update, the long tweezers seem to be working well,, he's taking food almost directly off it which makes feeding a lot easier.

I don't think it's a convenient long term solution though. It's possible that the feeding behaviour of gudgeons and rainbowfish are just too different to have them in the same tank.

Yeoy

Just to update, the long tweezers seem to be working well,, he's taking food almost directly off it which makes feeding a lot easier.

I don't think it's a convenient long term solution though. It's possible that the feeding behaviour of gudgeons and rainbowfish are just too different to have them in the same tank.
I suppose there are a number of places where they overlap in the wild but I guess in a natural environment they're much more spread out and each fill their niche. I've had trouble feeding gudgeons in community tanks in the past. I used to either target feed or distract the active fish up one end and then feed the gudgeon(s) at the other.

Alternatively you could try having some sort of live food like blackworms, shrimp etc... living in the tank?

GlennO

I suppose there are a number of places where they overlap in the wild but I guess in a natural environment they're much more spread out and each fill their niche. I've had trouble feeding gudgeons in community tanks in the past. I used to either target feed or distract the active fish up one end and then feed the gudgeon(s) at the other.

Alternatively you could try having some sort of live food like blackworms, shrimp etc... living in the tank?
There's actually a lot of cherry shrimp in the tank. They are culls from my other tanks and I thought the rainbowfish would eat them all but they are poor hunters. They don't go after them unless a shrimp swims right in front of them so the shrimp are usually out in the open without any fear. The gudgeon hasn't learnt to catch and eat them yet but I'm sure he will in time so they should provide a convenient food source.

Yeoy

There's actually a lot of cherry shrimp in the tank. They are culls from my other tanks and I thought the rainbowfish would eat them all but they are poor hunters. They don't go after them unless a shrimp swims right in front of them so the shrimp are usually out in the open without any fear. The gudgeon hasn't learnt to catch and eat them yet but I'm sure he will in time so they should provide a convenient food source.
I don't know how involved you wanna get but maybe you could try feeding your PSG a shrimp or two directly? Might change his mind on them. Depends how big he is too.

GlennO

I don't know how involved you wanna get but maybe you could try feeding your PSG a shrimp or two directly? Might change his mind on them. Depends how big he is too.
He'd be about 7cm. Probably big enough for up to nearly half grown RCS. Might give that a try.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
kiireki
  • Question
Replies
Views
FrustratedFishKeeper
Replies