Southeast Asian Inspired Tank

AndreDecasa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I need help creating a 15 gallon Southeast Asian biotope. Currently our room temperature this summer is boomin', it can get as high as 30 celsius. I need suggestions for livestock and plants that are both Southeast Asian native and will do great in 25-30 celsius.

I'm also thinking about replacing my sponge filter and using a sponge filter with a powerhead. So its basically gonna be a hill-stream sorta, fast moving water aquarium (I don't know what to call it.) I'm already thinking about a school of White Cloud Mountain Minnow or Leopard Danios, however I need your opinion about it since my temperature is very warm.

So far the tank has

Southeast Asian plants currently:
H. Polysperma
H. Odora
H. Stricta

Tentative non-native plants:
Helanthium Tenellum "Green"
Echinodorus Ozelot
Elodea sp.

Floaters:
Water lettuce

Nick72

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AndreDecasa said:
As much as I adore those loaches I don't think a 15 gallon would be ideal or could be?
Why not, they only get 1.6 Inches long. It's recommended that you can keep a small group in a 20g.

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
white clouds generally require 20 gallon or more, they are quite active swimmers, plus they might prefer cooler temperatures.

How about,
4 Borneo suckers
14 ChilI rasboras

Epicoz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don’t think any fish can survive that hot you might want to look into getting a cooler and if you do dwarf Gouramis are nice.

Epicoz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Not trying to be rude but for Americans 25-30 Celsius is 95-120 farenhite

Epicoz

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I’m stupid I googled the wrong thing sorry everyone

Nick72

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
RyanC14 said:
Borneo suckers need cooler temps. I think you could get a small gouramI or 2 and a school of kuhlI loaches.
Borneo Sucker fish are fine at 28c of the OP can maintain that temp.

But they are very specific regarding very high flow and highly oxygenated water.

I'd advise reading up on then thoroughly before purchasing.

OP
AndreDecasa

AndreDecasa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As soon as I replace my sponge filter with a similar one with a powerhead, the more agitated the water will be and it will end up having a way more cooler temp. I just tried floating 2 frozen water bottles in the tank and now its sitting at 28.6 celsius. I'm also looking for fans that I can install above the aquarium. I'm very aware that the temperature is very harsh for any fish. I'm trying to fix that.

imba said:
white clouds generally require 20 gallon or more, they are quite active swimmers, plus they might prefer cooler temperatures.

How about,
4 Borneo suckers
14 ChilI rasboras
Will the ChilI rasboras be able to live in a aquarium with such a strong flow though? I heard they are very fragile small fish.

New Threads