Southeast Asian Inspired Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by AndreDecasa, Apr 19, 2019.

1. AndreDecasaWell Known MemberMember

I need help creating a 15 gallon Southeast Asian biotope. Currently our room temperature this summer is boomin', it can get as high as 30 celsius. I need suggestions for livestock and plants that are both Southeast Asian native and will do great in 25-30 celsius.

I'm also thinking about replacing my sponge filter and using a sponge filter with a powerhead. So its basically gonna be a hill-stream sorta, fast moving water aquarium (I don't know what to call it.) I'm already thinking about a school of White Cloud Mountain Minnow or Leopard Danios, however I need your opinion about it since my temperature is very warm.
    [​IMG]

So far the tank has

Southeast Asian plants currently:
    H. Polysperma
    H. Odora
    H. Stricta

Tentative non-native plants:
    Helanthium Tenellum "Green"
    Echinodorus Ozelot
    Elodea sp.

Floaters:
    Water lettuce

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  2. Nick72Valued MemberMember

Sounds ideal for a Borneo Sucker.

3. AndreDecasaWell Known MemberMember

As much as I adore those loaches I don't think a 15 gallon would be ideal or could be?

4. Nick72Valued MemberMember

Why not, they only get 1.6 Inches long. It's recommended that you can keep a small group in a 20g.

5. AndreDecasaWell Known MemberMember

I'd love to have maybe 4 Borneo sucker and 6 White Cloud Minnows. Is that decent?

6. imbaWell Known MemberMember

white clouds generally require 20g or more, they are quite active swimmers, plus they might prefer cooler temperatures.

How about,
    4 Borneo suckers
    14 Chili rasboras

7. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I don’t think any fish can survive that hot you might want to look into getting a cooler and if you do dwarf Gouramis are nice.

8. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

Borneo suckers need cooler temps. I think you could get a small gourami or 2 and a school of kuhli loaches.

9. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Not trying to be rude but for Americans 25-30 Celsius is 95-120 farenhite

10. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

25-30 c is actually just 77-86 F

11. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I’m stupid I googled the wrong thing sorry everyone

12. Nick72Valued MemberMember

Borneo Sucker fish are fine at 28c of the OP can maintain that temp.

But they are very specific regarding very high flow and highly oxygenated water.

I'd advise reading up on then thoroughly before purchasing.

13. AndreDecasaWell Known MemberMember

As soon as I replace my sponge filter with a similar one with a powerhead, the more agitated the water will be and it will end up having a way more cooler temp. I just tried floating 2 frozen water bottles in the tank and now its sitting at 28.6 celsius. I'm also looking for fans that I can install above the aquarium. I'm very aware that the temperature is very harsh for any fish. I'm trying to fix that.

Will the Chili rasboras be able to live in a aquarium with such a strong flow though? I heard they are very fragile small fish.