SouthAmericanCichlid's tanks

SouthAmericanCichlids
So, no pics right now, I'm at my dad's. But either tonight or tomorrow I'll take a ton of pics.

So here are my tanks:

55g:

Equipment:

Whisper 75 HOB filter (Modded with bio rings, for my biological filter)
Marineland magnum (Modded with sponge for mechanical and some biological)
Heater which came with kit
Nicrew RGB light with controller

Current stock:
3 angels, one platinum, one koi, and one silver (One died as being introduced, going to be getting a black angel)
3 spotfin hatchets (Going to get more of a different variety once available, as they school together)
3 lemon tetras (Probably going to get rid of these as I have bought 40of them and every time I introduce them, almost all die, I don't think they work well with my water)
1 bristlenose plecostomus
1 reticulated hillstream loach
pest snails

Future stock:

4 angels
3 spotfin hatchetfish, 1 marble hatchet, and if possible 1 silver and one common
6 lemon tetras (or get rid of and replace with something else)
6 columbian tetras (In qt)
6 cherry barbs
3 honey gourami
2 albino bristlenose plecos (1 male and 1 female, eventually will get their own tank)

10g:

Equipment:

Aquatop 25g sponge filter
random heater
11 watt plant light (White and blue)

Current stock:

6 Columbian tetras (In qt)

Future stock:

Qt until all tanks are filled and then:

some type of killi (undecided) pair or trio
6 wcmm

5g:

Equipment:

Marineland portrait built in filter, modded with sponges

Current stock:

Nothing

Future stock:

Dream shrimp or cherry shrimp

2.5/3.5g:

Bio: So this is going to be a walstad tank, but for now I am just going to be growing out guppy grass (and a ton of algae). Until I get a light and read a tutorial on how to do it (Besides substrate which has already been done), it will remain this. But eventually it will be stocked with cherry shrimp or velvet shrimp.

Bits and bobs: Growing hydrocotyle triparta 'Japan' in a Tupperware container.

Advertisement
BigManAquatics
Well dangit, i clicked hoping for pictures!

SouthAmericanCichlids
Well dangit, i clicked hoping for pictures!
Sorry, pics coming soon. Parents are in bed, no phone :(

Also, I did not order any background plants when I'd ordered from Marcus for some reason :confused:. But I will be getting some vals, rotala, crypts, and a few others possible from Demeter being shipped Monday. So tank pics tmrw won't look great. Still great shots of fish though.

And my 2.5/3.5 I should of said is right next to a window that's why it has a ton of algae and not a light.

Advertisement
SouthAmericanCichlids
Ok, so first tank, the 55g, as I said plants will be coming sometime soon, sent out Monday, I was going to do a proper aquascape, but I'm going to be doing a jungle scape, the angels are a little stressed because they don't have any sight blocks. but that'll be fixed with the vals, rotala, and crypts coming from demeter:

20210808_194040.jpg
20210808_193924.jpg

Charlette:

20210808_194510.jpg

Opal:

20210808_194603.jpg

Ma:

20210808_195055.jpg

Hatchetfish:

20210808_194421.jpg

Bn pleco:

20210808_194403.jpg

Pest snail, grrr:

20210808_194502.jpg

Plants:

20210808_193732.jpg
Cooper:

20210808_194527.jpg

Columbian tetras:

20210808_193108.jpg

My grow out for my plants:

20210808_193223 (1).jpg

2.5/3.5g:

20210808_193218.jpg

And my pride and joy, not! It got a ton of diatoms after I went to my dad's for a week, I tried to scrape it off, but then it all fell on the plants and the substrate, and I tried to gravel vac it, but I couldn't get it all off, so once I have a full day off this week (probably tomorrow), I will take it completely down and set it up again:

20210808_193253 (1).jpg

Qt tank, with it's permanent residents algae and pest snails and its guest the columbian tetras:

20210808_193131 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20210808_194527.jpg
    20210808_194527.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20210808_194421.jpg
    20210808_194421.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210808_193554.jpg
    20210808_193554.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 40
SouthAmericanCichlids
My Columbians are doing good today, it's been about 4 days since I got them (I think), they have just today come out of hiding in the corner (All but 2).

Advertisement
SouthAmericanCichlids
So today, I had all day to work on my tanks and had no work, school, or plans. So first I scraped off all the algae and then did a 100% wc. A before and after:

Before:

20210808_193253 (1).jpg

After:

20210809_202718.jpg

I also thought my qt tank could use some cover so the new additions would feel more comfortable. As, I have decided not to be planting my 10g. I really like the look, kind of what I want my 55g to look like, but with real plants:

20210809_202419.jpg
20210809_202424.jpg
20210809_202504.jpg

SouthAmericanCichlids
4 angels
3 spotfin hatchetfish, 1 marble hatchet, and if possible 1 silver and one common
6 lemon tetras (or get rid of and replace with something else)
6 columbian tetras (In qt)
6 cherry barbs
3 honey gourami
2 albino bristlenose plecos (1 male and 1 female, eventually will get their own tank)
Would I be able to switch the honey gouramis for a pair of moonlight gourami, I know they are MUCH bigger, but I recently saw Ryngwrayth 's video in this thread: Moonlight Gourami and fell in love.

jinjerJOSH22 I heard you kept them.

jinjerJOSH22
Would I be able to switch the honey gouramis for a pair of moonlight gourami, I know they are MUCH bigger, but I recently saw Ryngwrayth 's video in this thread: Moonlight Gourami and fell in love.

jinjerJOSH22 I heard you kept them.
Maybe.
The Moonlights themselves shouldn't cause much trouble but often mixing Angels and Gourami ends in conflict between them. I would also opt for more than just a pair, 4 is a much better number with most Gourami in my experience.

I would also be slightly hesitant keeping them with the rather active Colombian Tetra(fantastic fish to keep, my favourite Tetra). While I never found them to be nippy, they are extremely active eaters and I found them too much for my Honeys to handle.

I ended up rehoming my Colombians from my 63 in favour of giving my Three Spot Gourami more room.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Well, Demeter 's plants just came in, and they are gorgeous and such a good deal. I will be posting pics tmrw.

The final look for this tank is going to look very much like my 10g does, jungly for most of it and a clearing with a dwarf aquarium lilly, with crypts on all sides.

So the plants I got are: 32 vals, 12 crypts, and a bunch of duckweed, all for 30 dollars including shipping, I definitely would recommend, minimal death of plants, just a couple leaves (Not whole plants) with yellowing.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Sorry I forgot to post pics of the newly planted tank, maybe tonight. But I have a marbled hatchetfish and 2 spotfin hatchetfish in the qt tank. And the Columbian tetras got moved in. But I also had 3 new lemon tetras, and I decided to acclimate them even slower than I usually do, and they still didn't make it. I think I'll give up on lemon tetras, and just keep the three I have right now.

wrs2
Sorry I forgot to post pics of the newly planted tank, maybe tonight. But I have a marbled hatchetfish and 2 spotfin hatchetfish in the qt tank. And the Columbian tetras got moved in. But I also had 3 new lemon tetras, and I decided to acclimate them even slower than I usually do, and they still didn't make it. I think I'll give up on lemon tetras, and just keep the three I have right now.
My lemon tetras suck too lol. I have NO LUCK with them lately!

SouthAmericanCichlids
I am experiencing an algae bloom again, and a weird pain in my chest, but that's unrelated. I gave away my last UV filter so I guess I'll have to either buy a new one or do a black out period along with a 75-80% wc.

I forgot to take a pic! AHH! I keep forgetting, but a low quality computer pic will have to do for now...

WIN_20210823_21_44_08_Pro.jpg

But here is the general plan, for the first bit of my plant journey, I'm just doing a simple jungle, that way it'll look good and I can have enough plants for an actual scape eventually, I will have a clearing where I will have a dwarf aquarium lilly, and other plants, the colors are: Red for DAL, light green for vals, and dark green for crypts:

plants.png

SouthAmericanCichlids
I keep on forgetting to update this thread. I got some plants from an aquarium store, some more colorful pants and some bacopa. The vals have been growing like crazy and so have the dal, crypts I can't really check progress on. When I get back I am going to move all of the new plants from the aquarium store along with a few vals and crypts and guppy grass and grow them out in a bucket.

In other news, I have added some columbian tetras, and have gotten some more hatchets. 1 marbled and 2 spotfins (1 has passed from this strange illness that tends to happen for me for newly added tetras where they can't control whether they are up or down, when they are 1st added), and saw some cochu's blue tetras at the lfs for really cheap, I wanted to get those, but didn't think I'd be able to find them.
Oh yes, I forgot to say, I'll be at my dad's till sunday afternoon, but I will try to do pics then.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Well, I finally remembered to take pictures, well before my mom goes to bed. The time I like to watch my fish is when she is in bed, and that is when I remember to take pics. So first I'll do the 55g, it has really filled in, I have vals, crypts, and dwarf aquarium lilies in there right now:

20211006_194540.jpg
20211006_194544.jpg
20211006_194730.jpg
20211006_194848.jpg
20211006_194756.jpg
20211006_195202.jpg
20211006_195218.jpg
20211006_194114.jpg
More of the 55g:

20211006_194540.jpg
20211006_194225.jpg
20211006_194122.jpg
20211006_194114.jpg
20211006_194053.jpg
The 3.5g has really grown a lot, it's almost completely filled with guppy grass, still no inhabitants. I was debating switching it over to my 5g, so took it all out, so that is why there are bits in my 5g. This tank also has 2 vals and a red stem plant that I forget the name of:

20211006_201646.jpg

Now my 5g, before I had a ton of stem plants, but I started a bucket for themto grow them out, which I will eventually make half submersed, half emerged. But here is the 5g as of now:

20211006_193726.jpg

My 10g qt, not much new, I just moved the fish out of the qt system, though they are still in in this pic, they are cochu's blue tetras:

20211006_201621.jpg

Here is the plant grow out, once they get some height to them, I will grow them above the water too:

20211006_193908.jpg
20211006_193901.jpg
20211006_193857.jpg
20211006_193810.jpg

Attachments

• 20211006_194220.jpg
    20211006_194220.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 20
SouthAmericanCichlids
Quick update, obviously the vals have sent off many baby plants, I added some cochu's blue tetras, they gain color by the day but are still quite grey, I think they'd be much better in lower ph, more on this later. Also, my Reticulated hillstream loach is a lot more bold and active.

In other news, I'm moving to my dad's house, so will be moving the tanks over, and he has an RO-DI unit, so ph will be much better than here, and I think all of my fish will gain a lot of color. And when I move the tanks, I am going to be adding a filtration compartment in my 55g, to hide everything, it is going to be like the compartment in this tank:
MARINELAND Portrait Blade Light Aquarium Kit, 5-gal - Chewy.com

Leeman75
Quick update, obviously the vals have sent off many baby plants, I added some cochu's blue tetras, they gain color by the day but are still quite grey, I think they'd be much better in lower ph, more on this later. Also, my Reticulated hillstream loach is a lot more bold and active.

In other news, I'm moving to my dad's house, so will be moving the tanks over, and he has an RO-DI unit, so ph will be much better than here, and I think all of my fish will gain a lot of color. And when I move the tanks, I am going to be adding a filtration compartment in my 55g, to hide everything, it is going to be like the compartment in this tank:
MARINELAND Portrait Blade Light Aquarium Kit, 5-gal - Chewy.com
Will be interesting to see how much the RO-DI effects the colors.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Will be interesting to see how much the RO-DI effects the colors.
Yeah, that is something that I'll be interested to see too because I always see guides say they're fine in my 8-8.2 ph, but I'll see, first I'll go to 7.5 which is my dad's water, and then down to, eventually, ~6.8. I am curious how much it will affect them, and want to try breeding some of these fish. The plan with my guppy was to go in my 5g, but she, after living a full life, has passed.

SouthAmericanCichlids
My angels are showing breeding signs, they lip-locked, they did that shuttering thing, and now they are trying to clean off a val, but I am thinking they won't lay there as the vals are quite flimsy and move around. I'm excited, I won't give them their own tank, as I can't, but if some survive from being eaten, I will let them grow up in there and give/sell them to the lfs. I may choose to raise them eventually when I have more tanks, but as for now, I won't.

The funny thing is, the one with a male name is a female (I already knew from a past pair) and the one I named with a female name is a male. haha

Okay, it's been an hour of me constantly watching, I haven't stopped lol, still clearing things off, I am so anxious, I can't wait to see her lay, I've never actually seen a female lay eggs, only found them after the fact.

2 hours now, they are staying closer to the place where they are cleaning off for eggs, so I think they're getting closer.

3 hours now, I forgot to extend the time the lights stay on, so the lights went out for a while while I was doing the Christmas tree. So I turned them back on, it'll only be about 3 hours extra today, as they turn back on after they go out this time.

SouthAmericanCichlids
I don't know if I've told you guys yet, but this scape is just temporary while I grow out plants, which will probably take a really long time. But I just wanted to share my plans for it, to avoid writing my essay for school lol, so the plan is to have vertically placed wood beams to kind of create tree trunks, going from very large at the front of the tank, and quickly getting smaller as it goes to the back, making it look like tons of depth, and hopefully, the wood will cover the back of the tank, but if not, I'll put that cloudy thing, I forget what it's called, possibly called window frost? But I'll have that with green behind that to it the appearance of it continuing. And I will cover the "Trees" with moss, and the top few inches of the tank will be guppy grass, to kind of make leaves on the tops of the trees, and I want to, though I don't know how to yet, have ropes hanging down which are covered in moss to kind of make a sort of vine-like thing, and at the very bottom. I'll have 4 or 5 inches up all stem plants completely covering the bottom, almost like a dutch scape, but just a ton of dome-shaped masses, to be like fallen leaves, I think it will look really cool.

SouthAmericanCichlids
Just a refresher for what the stocking is:

An agelfish pair
6 spotfin hatchets
6 lemon tetras
6 columbian tetras
6 cherry barbs
3 honey gourami
1 albino bristlenose plecos (1 male)

Would I be able to switch the honey gouramis out for festivums? If so how many would I need at a minimum? TClare

Little update: I will be moving on December 27/28.

TClare
Just a refresher for what the stocking is:

An agelfish pair
6 spotfin hatchets
6 lemon tetras
6 columbian tetras
6 cherry barbs
3 honey gourami
1 albino bristlenose plecos (1 male)

Would I be able to switch the honey gouramis out for festivums? If so how many would I need at a minimum? TClare

Little update: I will be moving on December 27/28.
I think you could switch the gouramis for festivums. I have not kept them together with angelfish but I know that in the wild they often school together, so a group of three of each should be good, and better for the angels too. As with any cichlids it’s best to have a backup plan in case any have to be removed. I don’t know much about hill stream loaches, but don’t they like cooler water than the other species you have?

SouthAmericanCichlids
I think you could switch the gouramis for festivums. I have not kept them together with angelfish but I know that in the wild they often school together, so a group of three of each should be good, and better for the angels too. As with any cichlids it’s best to have a backup plan in case any have to be removed. I don’t know much about hill stream loaches, but don’t they like cooler water than the other species you have?
Well, from 2 youtube people I have watched, they have kept them their whole lifetime in lower flow and cool temperatures, and have even had them breed in said conditions, and have had them singularly which is also often protested in the aquarium community. And I personally haven't seen any problems with him. I think they just saw their wild parameters and copied them down for them to be kept in, rather than seeing what parameters they need.

Thank you for your input.

SouthAmericanCichlids
TClare in the above post, that may have come off snarky, the "Thank you for your input," was actually sincere.

I moved over to my dad's house on the 29th, I moved the 55g over, no deaths, but I left my 5g, 10g, and 3.5g, I will be moving them later, and they are only plants.

SouthAmericanCichlids
So after a little hiatus from fishlore, I have come back, here is my 55g tank, the area that is very thinly planted will have no plants eventually and be a clearing with only the lillies and the cave, but I haven’t moved my plants only tanks yet, so once I did decide to move them, they will be going in there.
Edit: Sorry, I forgot to add the pics.
3B6DD2B5-1583-4987-BF83-206FC565289C.jpeg
A8F6EE71-235F-4D84-BDF8-4B90654DC3B5.jpeg

SouthAmericanCichlids
So quick update, more plants came in, I got a problem with string algae I think, it's stringy and greyish, my guess is low flow, but I am still troubleshooting.

In other news, I will, next time the dollar per gallon tank sale starts, be getting 2 more 10g tanks, and a 20g, as well as setting up an old 29g that has been sitting here for a while. I will be planning on breeding the following: Angelfish, a variety of tetras from my 55g, just short move out of the 55g to breed them, and then moving them back, reticulated hillstream loaches, honey gouramis, and Bolivian rams. All the tetras' fry, the reticulated hillstream loach fry, and the honey fry will go in the 29g. The Bolivians will get 2 10g's and the angelfish fry will get the 20g.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
The29G
Replies
Views
Akari_32
Replies
Views
boycottbeef
Replies
Views