South American with central/north american cichlids?

1. fengshui

fengshui Valued Member Member

Hi, all I just wanted to know if the title stated is possible? Thanks in advance

2. Marie1

Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Depends on what kind, and what size of tank, but yes. New world cichlids will work together.

3. OP
    OP
    fengshui

Red Devils, red severums, jack dempseys, green terrors, peacock cichlids, jewel cichlids

Maybe some fire mouths or convicts also

4. Marie1

Jewels are African. But I have them with some convicts and firemouths. They have the same temperament, and are not Rift Lake cichlids. So this is kind of the exception to the rule when mixing African and New World cichlids. Normally you should not mix them

You would need an 8' to 10' tank to pull that off. It can be done, but you will need an enormous tank to do it.

5. OP
    OP
    fengshui

oh I was seeing the compatibility so I know my choices, I'm not getting everything I just said lol. But it'd be nice if I could.

6. Marie1

OK. The only ones I don't see working at all are the peacocks. There are many different kinds, and some actually will stay around 15'', but the majority of them will grow to over 2' and eat everything they can. They really are not that mean, they just have a one track mind. To eat. They could be kept with the others you've posted, but your talking a huge tank, so I would just so no.

Red Devils can live up to their name. Very territorial, and can terrorize any fish that is in their territory. They generally think the entire room they are in is their territory, and hit the glass anytime you get close to their tank. Unless in a huge tank, they are best kept as wet pets in a 75.

The Jacks, Sevs, GT, FM, Cons, and Jewels could all be ok together if given the right size tank that is set up right. Have breaks in site lines, possibly caves for them, driftwood and large rocks. Having all 6 of those in a tank would mean a big tank. But it maybe possible to keep 2 of them in a 75.

I'm sure you know all fish are different. So although these fish can be kept together, that doesn't mean it will work.You may get a fish, especially a Jack, GT, or Jewel that just won't put up with another cichlid in their tank. Always have a back up plan when mixing these.

7. OP
    OP
    fengshui

Thanks very much for the detailed response

8. hampalong

hampalong Fishlore VIP Member

Just a word of caution, because nobody has mentioned yet why mixing CA and SA shouldn't be done. CA fish need hard water for long term health, which most if not all SA and West African fish will be stressed in, as they're from soft water.

9. OP
    OP
    fengshui

So which of the fish I mentioned are South American since I have soft water

10. Slug

Slug Well Known Member Member

Errr peacocks get 2'?? I think you mean Peacock Bass, which is still considered a cichlid but not commonly referred to as just peacocks or peacock cichlid. Much different than what is commonly to referred to as a peacock cichlid which is a rift lake cichlid from Malawi and stays farrrrrrrrrrrr short of 15" or 2ft. Still would not work but just wanted to clarify.

The green terror and severums are South American. Most of the rest are Central American. Jewels are west African. Peacocks are Rift Lake Africans.

11. OP
    OP
    fengshui

What about Jack Dempseys

And also firemouths. By the way, can a syndontis catfish live with these cichlids?

12. Slug

Jack Dempseys are central american, firemouths as well.

CA and SA cichlids are very commonly mixed and you shouldn't have any issue doing that, I would just stear clear of the African and American mixes. Sydontis is a catfish from the rift lakes in Africa but I feel like it would be ok in new world tanks. Its not as prone to bloat, at least IME. However it will eat eggs and fry of any fish that breeds in the tank, they love hunting at night.

IMO, pH isn't going to be your real issue. Most tank bred fish can easily meet in the middle and adapt to tap water and be perfectly fine. Your issues with mixing comes from Aggression issues and different aggression levels as well as diet. Rift Lake Africans will get bloat if fed to much protein, and protein rich diets is what the new worlds thrive on. Africans tend to be less aggressive the higher numbers stocked they are, new world cichlids will kill each other if stocked to thick. So its my belief and my experience that pH will be the least of your worries in mixing the two continents.

13. OP
    OP
    fengshui

Thank you very much, so basically I can mix the Americans but not with Africans. If syndontis does not work, then what catfish would do well?

14. Slug

Yes, if you must mix then stick to mixing the americans and try to avoid mixing the africans with the americans.

Catfish....depends on size of tank. Bigger the tank more options you have lol. Pictus cats might work? Syndontis should work.

15. Marie1

Ahhhhhhh, your probably right. I hear peacock and automatically think of pbass. I've only recently gotten into African cichlids, and still think of Americans more often than not. Thanks for the correction! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

16. Slug

I wish I had a tank large enough for Pbass, quite awesome.

17. OP
    OP
    fengshui

What catfish would do well in a 29 gallon-55 gallon

18. Marie1

If you get a 55, I would get a single fire mouth and a single convict. If you go with those, try and get the same sex. They will breed with each other if you have a male and female.

As far as catfish go, I would try and get some synodontis. There are lots of different kinds so you may want to see what is available near you and check to make sure it won't outgrow your tank.

If you get a 29, I would just keep a single convict or firemouth. It really won't be big enough for a pair of any of the cichlids. And I can't think of any cats that could be kept with one in a 29. Maybe someone else can though.

19. OP
    OP
    fengshui

well remember, my tank is like over filtered x500

20. OP
    OP
    fengshui