South American Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Discus-Tang, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

So once my goldfish are rehomed (pond) I will be setting up my 32 (31.7) gallon tank as a blackwater south american biotope. Just wanted to double check this stock list:

Attached Files:

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't do neon tetras with a German Ram, the Rams need warmer water than of the neons.
    Cardinal tetras also need warmer water than the neons.

I also would not recommend this many groups of schooling fish, limit your choice to one large school of fish.
    You can do one school of tetras, and a group of cory.

3. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

Ok so goodbye to rummynose and cardinals. I'll expand the schools of neons and corys.

I've seen neons be kept successfully long term with GBR. They were both perfectly fine at 78F.

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think you could have two schools easily, but I also would not keep neons with GBR. They're not fine at 78F - they'll have a shorter life span and an increased susceptibility to disease - not very fair to them. BN plecos also need cooler water than the GBR (which would do better at higher than 78 F).

You could do something like this?

10x Cardinals
    10x Rummynose
    8x Emerald cories
    2x GBR
    1x Clown pleco
    80 F

Or this

10x Neons
    10x Another small schooling species (or more neons)
    8x Cories (one species, many options here)
    2x Bolivian rams
    1x BN pleco
    75 F

5. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

Hi thanks for the help. Forgot to mention that 6 of the neons and the BN are currently in my 23 I already have them. I guess Bolivian rams it is.

Are your stocking suggestions taking into account the fact that my tank is 32 gallons? It seems fine for size anyway

6. TexasDomer

Sounds like a great combo! There are other SA dwarf cichlids that would work, if you didn't want Bolivians. Keyholes are a favorite of mine.

7. OP
    OP
    Discus-Tang

Keyhole in 32g? How about kribensis

Edit: Keyholes can fit in my tank! If I have
    10 neons
    2 Bolivian rams
    10 bronze Cory
    2 keyhole
    1 bn pleco
    Is there enough room for anything to breed?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  8. TexasDomer

Yes, you could keep keyholes in a 30" long tank.

Kribs aren't from SA, and there might be some aggression towards the cories.

9. Fanatic

I only suggested one school, because I have an identically sized tank, and I have one school.

10. TexasDomer

It just seemed like you were telling OP to do one school, and I wanted to let them know they have more options than that :)

11. Fanatic

I seemed that way, but I just recommended it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice