South American Paradise

PlantedTank

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMG_0777[1].JPG
IMG_0778[1].JPG

I thought I would quickly share my progress on my 55
Here is my 55 gallon South American mangrove/river. Seems to be thriving well even on minimum water changes! Thoughts? What would you rate my tank? (p.s. sorry for the low quality iPhone picture)

OP
PlantedTank

PlantedTank

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nikm128 said:
That's one of the most amazing tanks I've ever seen. 20/10
Thank you! It's been a long hard road with lots of mistakes along the way.

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Really? I would have never known if you didn't tell me. Is that 8 angels with a school of 9 cardinals? Looks really nice with such a simple stock.

OP
PlantedTank

PlantedTank

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMG_2731.JPG
IMG_2733.JPG

Here are a few slightly better pics. Its hard to get the Angelfish to cooperate. Everytime I get within 10 feet of the tank they all think I'm going to hand feed them.

OP
PlantedTank

PlantedTank

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
nikm128 said:
Really? I would have never known if you didn't tell me. Is that 8 angels with a school of 9 cardinals? Looks really nice with such a simple stock.
The tank started off with 2 angelfish, a school of rummy nose, very cloudy water and a couple fake plants. The angelfish ate all the rummys and then decided they wanted to fight to the death(I took them back before that happened). I have definitely learned a whole lot from my initial failures.

The current stocking is 9 angelfish, 10 or so neon tetras, 6 panda corys, and a bristle nose pleco. Some may say this is overstocking and I might get rid of a couple angels in the future, but due to the fact that I switched to a canister filter I can get away with water changes every 2 weeks to a month with perfect levels.(Maybe I'm just lucky haha)

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's maybe a little overstocked, but I'm somone that puts water quality and maintenance demands first, so I don't really base stocking entirely on size. If it works for you I don't see a need to take any angels out.

Colleen B

Well Known
Reaction score
Love to see people successfully keep 2+ Angel's together. Some say it's impossible or really reccomend against it. I disagree! Beautiful tank!

OP
PlantedTank

PlantedTank

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Colleen B said:
Love to see people successfully keep 2+ Angel's together. Some say it's impossible or really reccomend against it. I disagree! Beautiful tank!
Thanks! Yeah when I had just 2 in there they chased each other around the tank like crazy and tried to kill each other and everything else in the tank. The aggression levels are much lower the more you have I've found. If one is nipping at another a third will break it up. It might also help having the manzanita branches in there to break it up a little too.

New Threads