South American Cichlids

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by Franny & Gary, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Franny & GaryNew MemberMember

I have two electric blue cichlids .They were in with my African cichlids Didn’t go well they almost killed them had to move them to the ten gallon fry tank now only five babies leftthey ate the rest. Then the one started brutally Attacking the other one almost killed it I was told they were not aggressive . I put the one in a little breeder net in the tank it’s doing great now. Have a 50g Cycling For them my question is what can I put with them when the tank is ready? And do you think in a bigger tank the aggression Will stop.I felt so bad for that fish it just hid in the corner could never come out or the other would attack nonstop bite marks all over it. Their new home Is almost ready need to have a plan what other fish can go with them .Thanks Fran

2. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Hahaha. I heard the same thing. Peaceful, non aggressive angelfish companions. Well in truth, they didn't bother the angelfish at all, they just tried to kill each other. Now two of them are in one tank, 1 is in the other tank. I am anxious to see what other people keep them with. Obviously mine are kept with angelfish.

3. Franny & GaryNew MemberMember

LOL it’s been a nightmare I have to laugh just to keep my sanity .My African Cichlid tank was a nightmare they said at the fish store to overstock it oh no every time I put more and they killed them. There is five of them in there they get along fine and that’s how it staying.Now if I can make the other two happy and maybe have a baby or two left.Sometimes I wonder what did I get myself into

4. SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

I used to have one young Krib with 2 Electrics. The tank was only a 15L with lotsa rocks, and they all seemed fine together, actually since the smaller Krib acted like the "referee" and chased both of 'em sometimes! However, many times only 2 of the same type of cichlids can and will fight a lot in smaller tanks, typically in 20 gallons or less. In that sized tank, yeah the probability's very high, however in let's say a 30-55 or higher, it's rather dicey; about a 50/50 chance, even with slower and proper introduction to the tank. Sometimes you gotta think of 'em as bettas instead of cichlids. And therefore treat 'em that way with their unpredictable dispositions.

5. CraniumRexWell Known MemberMember

Cichlids are... cichlids - this I am learning.

That said, do you have a lot of boundaries, decor, and plants for hiding places and territory markers? Not sure if you have plants - I passed on the electric blues since I wanted a densely planted tank.

I had to change around my entire scape in my 55 to accommodate my Bolivian rams. Nothing "kill" level like your acaras, but certainly more squabbling and chasing than I bargained for. It seems to have helped to give clear boundaries to each ram. Fingers crossed.

6. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

It's unfortunate that cichilds are what they are, cichilds, they will attack each other. We can only hope that if we get them as juvies they'll grow together and get used to it.

My JD chases the severum and BP at times...but both are big enough to hold their own.

In my 55g I have two blue acaras, they fight a lot...and the angel...it's beat up bad to the point that I have to put it in a QT to see if I can repair the little thing back up.

7. Franny & GaryNew MemberMember

Thanks everyone so maybe just put those two in there and leave it at that.And hope for the best.I would hate to put other fish in with them only to find out it doesn’t work out then I would be looking for another tank lol

8. KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

I have had an overstocked Mbuna tank for over 30 years. Is that what you were trying to do? You can't keep all African Cichlids, just Mbuna. They have their own signs and warnings that other African Cichlids may not understand. There is still aggression, we distribute the aggression by overstocking. Right now I am understocked in my tank and it is causing problems because the same fish is being singled out. (I have been slowly loosing my 5 to 7 year olds. I go thru this every few years.) My QT is in use and of course I need to wait until I can add at least 4 to 6 at a time.

9. Franny & GaryNew MemberMember

My fish store told me what I should put in so stupid me listened.Have five in there. one I call the blue devil if any other fish goes in there he will kill it killed two on me.I got the other two out in time. So far there is peace in the tank the five seem happy with just them I just hope it stays that way. What fish could I put with the Electric blues? If any. I would like to put something so maybe he would leave the other one alone. I would hate to have to move the other back to the 10 ga tank not fair to the poor fish.shes in a little fry net he keeps ramming the net like a lunatic .But for now she’s happy she knows he can’t get her. I’m ready to throw the towel in . my husband thinks I’m a lunatic he thinks I should let them be. But I can’t I have grown quite find of them and if I can keep them happy and alive I will do what it takes.