South American Cichlids stay healthy with a PH of 8.2?

1. NTICH Initiate Member

New question for this subject, I made sure to read this whole thread again being new and all.
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/ph/28528-changing-your-ph.html

I have a 1 week old 180 gallon All glass aquarium. My PH is 8.2, with 12 convicts, 2 Green Terrors, 2 Jack Dempseys, and 2 Blue Acaras. I have 7 Large pieces of drift wood and 4 medium Holy Rocks. All the books I have read are telling me that these fish prefer a PH of 7.0. It sounds like short of installing an RO system in my house to mix with the tap water there is no good way to lower my PH. So the first question is Can these South American Cichlids stay healthy with a PH of 8.2. The well water is softened by a Kinetico System and I also have the Iron Curtain for mineral removal. Any and all opinions on this question are greatly appreciate. I will be picking up the API K/GH Test kit tonight to see if my house water softener system is affecting the PH. Thanks in advance.

180 Gallon All Glass Aquarium
    60% Driftwood
    25% Holy Rock
    5% Rock i.e slate, assorted flat rock
    10% Artificial Plants
    6ft of Air stone’s on Back Wall (except for water intake’s)
    FX5 Canister
    PH 8.2 / Nitrite 0.0 / Nitrate 0.0 / Ammonia 0.0 Day 9

2. frampy Well Known Member Member

The holey rock will raise your pH. If you are that high you might want to look to African cichlids instead. Adding a co2 system with live plants will bring it down some. Adding in peat moss will bring it down even more. I still don't think it will come down enough for SA/CA to be really happy.

3. NTICH Initiate Member

Thanks for your reply but that pretty much means if you live in Michigan the only Freshwater fish you can keep are Africans. Do you know how much lower the PH will go if I take out the Holey Rock and replace it with Artificial Cichlid Stones? The next part to this project is transferring my old 55 gallon tank to the new one and that's why I think it's so important that I lower the PH but the fish below have been happy for the last 12 months @ a PH of 8.2 which is totally against everything that I have read. Thanks for your help.

55 gallon All Glass Aquarium
    2 Silver Dollars
    2 Bloody Parrots
    2 Columbian Tetras
    2 Dwarf Gourami's
    2 Cory's
    1 Black Ghost Knife
    1 Bristle nose Pleco
    1 Bala Shark

PH 8.2
    Ammonia 0.0
    NItrite 0.0
    Nitrate 20-40
    Total Hardness 50ppm/ 3 GPG/DH

Weekly Water Changes w/ Special Blend
    Ehiem Pro 2 Canister w/ Prefilter

4. frampy Well Known Member Member

As long as its steady with no swings most fish will adapt to higher then ideal pH levels. Some more then others, some are much more sensitive to higher pH. Add in peatmoss and remove the rock it will go down. Check you pH at the tap and see what that is. Let the water sit over night in a glass bowl. Check it in the morning. Get into the mid 7s and you will be OK.

5. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Fish will generally adapt to the PH they are kept in. None of the fish you have mentioned are PH sensitive as far as I know. A stable PH is always better than what the perfect PH for the fish is. Only issue you may have, and I doubt you will even have this problem, would be if you wanted to breed them.

PH is not something I have ever worry about. I also live where the PH is high out of the tap. I keep or have kept all the fish you have listed except for the blood parrots. No problems with mine.

Your 55 has some fish, the bala and the black ghost knife, that will outgrow it. Some others, the tetra, cory, and silver dollars should be kept in schools, not pairs. And in a 55 with the other fish you have, it is not really going to work in the long term. I'm surprised it has worked this long. Just something to think about. Especially if you have a 180.