Advertising

1. Amazon PRIME Day is today!
    Stock up on aquarium goodies!

No PRIME membership? No problem, sign up for a 30 Day Free Prime Trial to take advantage of the PRIME day sale prices!

Dismiss Notice

South American Cichlid Tank in Progress

1. Brokenshadows34

Brokenshadows34 Valued Member Member

Hey, everyone!

I'll probably use this post/thread to track my progress with this tank, and for any comments/advice/ideas from you. Any and all are welcome!

My goal: to make my 45 gallon cube aquarium into a heavily-planted tank complete with driftwood and maybe rocks to (even vaguely) resemble a South American river.

My target stock:

(2) angelfish
    (2) German blue rams
    (4-6) red eye tetras
    (4-6) black phantom tetras
    (1) butterfly gold-spot pleco

Here's what my tank looks like now:

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1406585408.646608.jpg

The clips on my glass top keep breaking, so I'm going to make a screen top instead. That huge screen is just temporary.

My current fish are: two angelfish, one female molly, one Congo tetra, four red eye tetras, four black phantoms, and my butterfly gold-spot pleco.

My plants are a mix of live and artificial now, with some wisteria in the front left, red ludwigia to the right of the skull in the center, and a pathetic-looking java fern to the left of the skull. I just bought them all two days ago, and they look a lot better. I've been adding Excel every other day.

I have a nice-looking chunk of mopani wood that I've been soaking for months on end, but still stains the water brown. I'll add it once I re-home the Molly and the Congo tetra.

2. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Looks good.

Advertising