South American Cichlid Food Intake 180 Gallon Tank

1. NTICH Initiate Member

Looking to narrow down my decision on how much to feed my new South American Cichlid's I have read and heard no less than 38 different opinions on how much and how often to feed them and still am unable to make an educated decision. I'm currently on day 8 of my first cycle still awaiting first ammonia spike. Will post different thread on how to tackle the PH problem as well. Thanks for your help.

Unable to update my profile currently:

Upgrade Community Tank:
    120 Gallon All Glass Aquarium
    12 Convicts (Ten will be returned to fish store for credit once tank is established)
    2 Green Terror’s
    2 Jack Dempsey’s
    2 Blue Acara’s
    60% Driftwood
    25% Holy Rock
    5% Rock i.e slate, assorted flat rock
    10% Artificial Plants
    6ft of Air stone’s on Back Wall (except for water intake area)
    FX5 Canister
    PH 8.2
    Ammonia 0.0
    Nitrites 0.0
    Nitrates 0.0

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Once you have more than 3 posts to the open forum, you can then update your Aquarium Profile Information.

I feed my fish once a day, every day, sparingly. Over feeding can lead to increased Ammonia Levels, a decrease in pH and a rise in Nitrates. As long as everyone gets a bite or 2 or 3, everything should be fine. If someone misses out, they probably will not miss out the next morning.

Too, using a variety of foods and fresh veggies for your fish is highly recommended:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/fish-food/175116-cucumber-zucchini.html
    (see post #8 in the link above)

I hope you enjoy the forum!

I am moving your thread from Freshwater Beginners to Freshwater Tank Equipment/Fish Food section of the forum.

Ken

3. NTICH Initiate Member

Much appreciated, now I just need to find the proper forum to ask about lowering my PH for the Cichlids. This is my first day of posting so I have some work to do to figure out the site. Have a great day.

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

You can post questions concerning pH in the link below:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/ph/

It's under More Freshwater Aquarium Topics/Aquarium Water/pH.

Thanks!

Ken (you'll learn the different sections as you go along)