South American biotope

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Fishyboy05, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Fishyboy05Valued MemberMember

Hi guys:) so I am planning a possible South American theese for my 37 gallon aquarium! What do you all think about this?
    1 German blue ram
    1 apistogramma agassazi
    1 angelfish
    4 panda Cory's
    8 rumynose tetras
    6 larger tetras, still need suggustions on good options
    So the reason I may not do this is because ru really wanted either
    2 pearl gouramis, 3 swordtails, 5 guppies, some type of killifish, and top dwellers. So I I don't do the S/A tank, what could I do?hopefully at least some of theese. And if I didn't do the angel, what could I do?

2. FatTony

FatTonyValued MemberMember

Great choices of fish! All of the cichlids you listed need to be kept in groups of their own kind, so you should go with at least 2 german blue rams, 3-4 apistos, (1 male 2-3 female) and 3 angels. Also, it would be best to go with only 2 cichlid species. Also, you should get 6+ panda corys because they need to be kept in big groups and they look awesome! Finally, Congo tetras would be great to act as your large tetras.

3. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Angels and GBR's do fine on their own. Keeping 3 Angels actually has a much higher chance of causing issues when they pair off and start to breed.

Gourami and Killifish are not from South America.

4. OP
    OP
    F

Fishyboy05Valued MemberMember

So Ishould I pick either 2 rams or 3 apistos or 2 angels? Or can I do 1 angel 1 ram 1 apisto

5. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Personally, I wouldn't do the Apisto's with Rams. The Rams have the potential of bullying the Apisto's. 1 Angel is fine, 2 is also fine. You could do several Bolivian Rams, they like groups.

Colombian Tetras would be a good tetra option, not sure if you listed them.

6. OP
    OP
    F

So how bout 3 Bolivians or 2 Germans
    1 angel
    6 rumynose
    6 Congo
    6 Cory's
    3 swordtails 2 pearl gourami

7. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Hey,

Interesting stocking choices. Congos will get too large for the tank and are actually African so they wouldn't fit into your biotype. Pearls and Swordtails are also not from SA. Pearls are from South East Asia and Swordtails are from Central America.

I agree that Apistos don't do well with Rams. When stocking Dwarf Cichlids I think it is often best to stick to one kind.

How about a stock like this:

1 Angelfish
    2 GBR
    10 Rummynose Tetras
    10 Cardinal Tetras
    6 Julii Corry

8. Ryan123Valued MemberMember

yes I agree with rogue but I am going on a limb and doing the opposite don't recommend doing that. rogue has way more experience with rams so listen to him.

9. OP
    OP
    F

Yeah, but Ryan is doin 2 rams and an apisto, but he says no to one of each. Interesting.. Practice what you preach

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice