Sourcing Tree Leaves For Aquariums

PeterFishKeepin

Hi all,

I need some help, I have a giant maple tree in my holiday house backyard, this is almost finished dropping all it’s leaves, i’ve had a thought, can I use the dried leaves in my tanks. I’ve heards about Indian almond leaves, oak leaves but idk about maple. There is a big green maple with balls and also a Japanese maple that is red. Could i use either of these in my tanks?

If i can ill get some photos after to add if you need.

Thanks for the help,

Peter

Ellebrius

I was told maple leaves are ok. They don’t bring the same beneficial tannins as oak leaves but you can safely use them in your tank.

RonP

I use dried red maple leaves from a tree in my yard. They are safe if no insecticides used. They do break down much faster than IALs, but fish are healthy and happy (Red Spotted Severums)

PeterFishKeepin

Thank you for your responses, ill collect a dozen or so and test them out.

Question: When you say they dont really last as long as Oak or IAL ive heard Oak and IAL last around 5-6 months. how long would Maple last?

RonP

Mine start to break down in 4 to 6 weeks...but leaf fragments remain for several months. In same tank, IALs do not last 6 months, more like 2 or 3 months intact then start to disintegrate.
They both create desirable cover for the fish after disintegrating.

PeterFishKeepin

Oh ok, after researching thats what i thought IAL and oak lasted for, guess i read some bad sources.

Thanks for the help with maples!

RonP

I think water conditions would have an effect on how fast they break down.
(Just a guess)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Gourami36
Replies
Views
Demeter
Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
  • Question