Source Of Bacteria?

1. eukendywa

eukendywa Member Member

I have been wondering about the source of tank bacteria. I have seen a few related discussions but nothing concrete, just guessing and thoughts.

We know you can add bottled bacteria but what if you don't? The tank will still cycle very slowly. Is the specific bacteria found alive in tap water? On the bits and pieces you put in the tank? Carried on the breeze? Brought in on your hands or all of the above? We know bacteria can be hardy and is on everything including us.

Does anyone know of any study done on the source of required bacteria? Just wondering.
    Thanks

2. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I never really looked that deep into it. I’d guess it’s either in the air or water and with us feeding it ammonia it multiplies to create a cycle.

3. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Member Member

The bacteria is most likely found on the fish on their gills, scales and mainly excretory organs
    That is most likely how it gets introduced into the aquarium

4. b

bryangar Well Known Member Member

Then how is a fish less cycle possible

5. Dan12boy

Dan12boy Member Member

I did say most likely

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It's in the water too, which is why you can do a fishless cycle in a bare tank with just a filter.

7. OP
    OP
    eukendywa

eukendywa Member Member

This seems probable and makes good sense. But then what about fishless cycling without adding bacteria.
    I know when asking this question that everything is covered with different bacteria. I'm just curious about the science...I had not thought about your idea though.

8. OP
    OP
    eukendywa

eukendywa Member Member

I was just curious about the science of it.

9. OP
    OP
    eukendywa

eukendywa Member Member

This was a source I had thought of but was not sure how much impact the chlorine would have in the cities as far as removal of bacteria coming through the pipes.
    I guess it may be a funny question since there is so much bacteria on absolutely everything. I enjoy science and have been enjoying the science of fish keeping.
    Bacteria would be on the filters, gravel, tank and heaters when you put them in the water and all the rest of it. :)

10. edevingo

edevingo Member Member

Tap water at least my town has Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrates in it. Also algea will form in the tank which is a living thing thus it produces waste also.