Souls Adventure!

1. thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch Well Known Member Member

So I am currently a week in on my cycle. I have 20lbs of live sand, 8 lbs of dead rock that I am currently curing in my tank, and ~2 lbs of live rock in the tank as well.

I have tested the tank a couple times a week and the ammonia has risen to above 10ppm, it turned blue, then i did a water change to lower it. Since everything was crazy off the chart. I then tested it today, 3 days after a w/c, and the ammonia is at 1-2 ppm and the nitrite/nitrate is off the chart.

Basically I just want to know if this is on the right track, or if I need to do another w/c in order to lower everything. I know it is going to take some time, I have nothing planned with this tank for another 3-5 months anyways.

2. Tragic13

Tragic13 Valued Member Member

@NART What do you think?

3. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Well, I'm not very experienced with cycling SW. I have one cycled and am currently cycling a SW qt. I have cycled 4 tanks (1 SW & 3 FW) over the last six months and a general rule I follow is to do a water change if anything is off the charts. In your case I would do wc's until nitrItes were 3ppm or under. This is because I believe the advice that nitrItes over 4ppm can stall a cycle. I've followed this thread for both FW and SW and have yet to have a cycle last longer than a month.

Ammonia Instructions when Cycling with TSS+ or other Bacterial Starter

As for the bottled bacteria.. I use it, but I know it sometimes doesn't work due to viability. The bottled bacteria can be dead before you use it for a variety of reasons. My longest cycle was 30 days (dead bacteria, I think) and my shortest was 11 days (bacteria in that bottle was viable.) Just my 2¢ ;) That said, you are past the bacteria in a bottle stage... I think. Your rocks seem to be taking care of that for you. IMO, I would still do water changes and dose ammonia if necessary to make sure that cycle is moving along.

4. Tragic13

5. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

Sounds good, I did a large water change around 75% when I did my wc I'll do another tonight or tmw. And see where it is at then.

6. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

Well thursday I did a 50% wc then friday test and it was still high did another 50% wc and was low, now today I am around 2-3ppm on ammonia and around 3-5 ppm on nitrItes. I guess that I am on the right track now?

7. Tragic13

Sounds like it :), I just did a 20% myself and found around 6 dead turbos :/ idk why D:

8. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

Well after i added some ammonia to bring it back up to 3ppm, last night it dropped to 0ppm everything is back up. Gonna have to do another water change. The nitrAtes are off the chart, the ammonia is about 5-6ppm, and nitrItes are around 3-5ppm.

9. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

You made two different posts on this. I answered it in your other one and thought about it some more...
    Be patient young padawan :)

The key factor here is... you are using dry rock and it looks like it'll need to be cured completely till it stops leaching any dead organics into the water.
    Until the rock is cured your tank won't cycle properly. You can stop doing tests for now and just cure your dry rocks... it might take up to 1-2 months for it to stop leaching ammonia and phosphates into the water.
    So just change out 50% water like every 2-3 days, with a good flow and heat in the tank.
    wait a week to test your ammonia and phosphates. If the numbers remain the same or goes up then that means the rocks aren't cured yet.
    Keep doing this weekly till you see your Ammonia drop to 0 and phosphates no longer go up, then test your Nitrite and Nitrates.

10. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

Oh wow I did. Ha sorry, it's been a long couple weeks with things at home. But thanks, I will basically just let it do it's thing and follow your directions. Thanks again!

11. Nart

Fo sho.
    Keep us posted once your dry rock cures. But it will literally take at least a month depending on how much dead organics are in it. So just keep an eye on your ammonia levels. no point in wasting your other test kits for now.

12. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

Do I need to add ammonia at all? It's been going down to 0-.25 over night now.

13. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

@NART ,@stella1979

So the tank is doing a bit better, just adding the ammonia to keep it cycling, as it will go up to 4ppm at night, then the next day when I test it after work it's back down to 0-.25ppm. Starting to get some brown on one of the rocks, but I figured that was expected. But again not in any rush, for the time being I have been enjoying watching my freshwater fish do their stuff.

I do have some questions about stocking so I can start looking at pricing and also figure out what types of fish I can put in it. It's a 14 g biocube. I know it's small so most likely not more than a few, but it's mere curiosity as my lfs just got their shipment in today.

14. Nart

Hmmmm... sounds like it's getting close.

I would stop dosing ammonia. Now test your Nitrite and Nitrate. Also, do you have a low-range phosphate test kit? Check that as well.
    Keep us posted.

I personally wouldn't go browse for fishes at your LFS lol. More than likely you'll end up walking out with a fish or two and end up trying to save it because the tank isn't done cycling yet.
    Fish stocking depends, clowns are the go to fishes, blennies, pistol gobies, firefish, clown goby, engineer goby, dottybacks, six-line wrasse, etc.... I wouldn't add more than 3 fishes in the tank. It's a small little foot print so it'll depend on what fishes you go with will determine what you can add first.

15. stella1979

Oh no! I sure don't like to disagree with @NART, he has taught me so much.;) I would just say, stop dosing ammonia with caution. Keep monitoring your nitro cycle levels.... if your rock is not leaching ammonia and nothing in the tank is providing it, well, you wouldn't want to lose any BB you've built up through the dosing you've been doing. If I'm not mistaken, you don't want to starve your ammonia eating BB for more than 3-4 days. NART certainly has more experience than me though, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as stocking... agreed with @NART :D It might be tough to go to the LFS without buying as you're so close to fish day.:) He's given you a good list to start researching, and that should help you narrow down what you're looking for.

16. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

I have the api reef kit, since it included all of the tests that i don't have.

True, I don't think I'd try and save any of them mainly because my gf wants to look as she likes too see what the store has...it's become a ritual any time they get a shipment...people know me by name....it's pretty sad no lie. haha

Alrighty then, I was wanting to try a pair of clowns, a goby, and then just a clean up crew maybe a shrimp. Nothing to crazy as it's my first and I really just want to learn how to do it, until I go bigger.

17. Nart

@stella1979 You're not wrong at all Stella.

My thinking of stop dosing ammonia is for 2 reasons.
    1) See if the dry rock is still leaching any ammonia
    2) Dosing at 4PPM Ammonia and having it less than 0.25 in less than 24 hours is more than enough to get a tank to cycle. If Nitrite is too high, by feeding it more ammonia will only increase the nitrite levels and possibly stalling it on Nitrites.

Also - dosing at 4PPM ammonia is like having all your fishes massively poo all at once haha. I usually only dose to 2PPM.
    I would recommend you test your Nitrite, Nitrates, and Phosphates first as well as Ammonia before you dose anymore Ammonia.

If your Nitrite is too high, I would stop dosing Ammonia and let your Nitrites level out.
    If you are getting Ammonia = 0, Nitrite = 0, and registering Nitrates.... dose 1-2PPM Ammonia and test 24 hours later. If it converts everything to 0 and you see Nitrates. do a 50% water change and your tank is ready for it's first fish. Either way, you won't lose the BB colony that fast. It's harder to start and complete a cycle than to build up an existing cycled BB colony.

18. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

the nitrites are still kinda high, I'll leave it alone until sat/sun and retest everything then and give an update.

the Nitrates are up there and reproducing pretty fast, last i tested a couple days ago before a w/c it was 40-60ppm i don't remember which.

19. OP
    OP
    thesoulpatch

Well @NART @stella1979 i checked it again today everything dropped to 0! So I added ammonia to test (2ppm thanks @NART ) and make sure everything would go through the proper channels and i'll check back tonight/tomorrow morning. Seems as though i didn't give everything a chance to catch up to each other when i was dosing.

I also checked phosphates and they were at 0-.25 ppm

I also went to the lfs and found these awesome clowns, frostbite clownfish, they said they never really sell them and may cut a deal with me for them. Which would be awesome as they are $50 ea.

20. stella1979

Sounds great... Hope you can show those fancy clowns to us soon.

I've been impatiently cycling a QT for my own clown. I have little ones who would love a Nemo, so we're going with a standard Percula.... I'd love two but idk, kinda nervous about that in my little 20g. Hope to show off at least one by next weekend.