SOS SOS, urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by the planted guy, Jul 29, 2015.

1. t

the planted guy Valued Member Member

Hi everyone, I am a complete newb with aquarium pests, I just saw a worm in my brackish water crab tank, I took it out, it was about 2 milimeters long, would the worm threaten my crabs.

Any needed info: there was a large housefly in the tank less then a week ago
    I have detected ich in one of my freshwater tanks with feeder fish with which i use to feed my with,
    yes i am treating the feshwater tank
    I also saw a number of mosquitos wandering about in my tanks a week ago

P.S. woud there be more worms, would this be a threat to anyone in a household

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I doubt this would be a threat to people (just don't ingest the water!), but it's impossible to tell if it'll hurt your crabs without seeing a pic and identifying the worm.

3. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

most likely, its planaria or sometimes insect larvae. either way, you'll be fine.

4. OP
    OP
    t

that gives me a partial relief, but how do i get rid of it, i already killed the worm, and i can't see another one

What medications are there that wont hurt crabs and will kill worms. Will malachite green work?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Without knowing what it was, it's hard to tell if there are more (without seeing them) and how you can kill the others (if they're there).

It may be a harmless one, and not a parasite. I'd be careful treating the tank, you don't want to hurt your crab (especially since you don't know if the worm is harmful or not).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2015
  6. OP
    OP
    t

i see two more

7. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

take some pictures

8. lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

Be on the lookout for more worms and take them out and take pictures of them. Also on the topic of Feeders, now that you know that the tank is diseased with Ich, please be careful when feeding your other fish.

Feeder fish don't provide any nutritional benefits and in fact are dangerous to use because they can infect other fish with Ich or parasites so keep that in mind...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice