SOS: I want to add some...

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I want to add some more fish to my 5 gallon tank.

At the moment, I have only 1 betta in my tank.

Any fish, that suit the tempertature range, that you would highly recomend, or any that I should stay clear of would bie greatly appreciated.

Any tips on keeping these specimens wouldn't go un noticed either

kerryve

Valued Member
Reaction score
Betta's, are actually happiest in a 10 gallon or bigger tank, contrary to what most people think. but some advice is to not add any fish that have big flashy fins eg guppies, bettas can feel offended and could nip at them. ive had bettas get along fine with a small school of neon tetras, but they are quite sensitive so make sure your tank is cycled completely.

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Chickadee I think keeps bettas in 5 g tanks and they are like her own children. I don't know about the happiest in a 10g tank thing, though mine to be honest seems very pleased wtih his. I'm really leery about the idea of adding anything, he is as I speak sailing around his tank and flaring whenever he gets to either end.

However, I recommend fish that are very friendly, bear no resemblence to bettas whatsoever and ideally spend nearly all their time in another part of the tank. Corydoras and Oto catfish are good, as are snails, apparently platties but I can't vouch for that and I worry about the fact that they resemble juvenile female bettas. Black mollies might also be good though apparently they thrive in a different sort of water.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't try the Mollies. Some folls have luck with them but they have good sized fins on some of the species and might just be a little too tempting or get themselves mistaken as another Betta. I do not know about the Platies either. They really do look like a Female Betta and that could be bad. I do know that Cories and Otos work well but they both need to be kept in groups so while the Otos may be allowable for the 5 gallon with a Betta, there is not enough room for Cories. You must remember that a Betta as much as we love them is still rated as a semi-aggressive fish (under some conditions) and is quite territorial. The more crowded a fish of this type feels the more aggressive they are. I have first-hand knowledge of that. Marty's first tank was a 3 gallon because I just didn't have anything any bigger. Since he has gotten into the larger tank, his atitude is changed and he is almost pleasant in nature. LOL The Otos don't know how to take him>

Rose

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Which fish in community tank? Calling chickadee!

I saw some bronze cat fish, gaurames ( i think!) and glass catfish today, in a 10 gallon tank with a betta!!!!!! ;D Are these fish suitable for my type of aquarium?

Neon Tetra's look pretty awesome too, however do neons nip betas? and do they like cat fish/gaurames?
Any other suggested fishy friends for Orion? I have noticed Orion doesn't flare at his reflection, so maybe he isn't too aggressive.

If I get more fish will this mean I need a filter?

As you can see I am catching the fish bug!

Kristyn

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
If you want to add any of those fish to your tank, you will have to get a bigger tank. As already stated, your tank is really too small to add much of anything else except maybe and oto or ghost shrimp. And without looking at profiles of these other fish, they probably need at least 10 gallons to swim in. I know the gouramis usually need at least 20 gallons, but the dwarf gouramis may not. LFS are notorious for having too many fish in a tank to make it look pretty.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kristyn -

I was working under the assumption (should never do that I know!) that your tank had cycled and was filtered and heated. You cannot put Otos or Tetras or any of those others into a uncycled, unfiltered tank. (Bettas shouldn't be either) All the fish we are talking about here, including the Bettas, are Tropical Fish. That indicates that they are in need of filtered water and an even, steady temperature to avoid disease or shortened lifespans. Most fish are horribly stressed by being in a situation where they are the ones doing the cycling.

I am afraid that the first requirement to adding more fish is going to be adding a filter and cycling the tank and putting in a heater for good temperature control, if you don't already have one.

Rose

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, I know!!!!!! :

Don't worry, I'm getting a filter of my grandma and grandpa today! It's a powerfilter, so it's all cool!

The only reason I haven't got a filter yet is because I was worried about Orion, and because he is a betta. I've heard they like still water, and it could be a SHOCK if the current is too strong.

I was just waiting for him to get used to his new tank. I know that if I were him, and I moved from a grottty puddle-like tank, to a (to him) gigantic tank. I even waited a while before turning on the heater.

Orion may not be aggressive, but HE IS A SENSITIVE little boy. I have to take time with him. :

There is NO WAY that I'd put more fish in there without a filter HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!!! I'm only researching about them so I have an idea on what other equipment (like food) I may need to purchase.
I don't just walk in, and get a fish, ask what it is, and say

"Oh golly, I like it's prettyfull scaly scales, I'll take it!"

that's plain mean > I'd be a known murderer in the fish aquarium.... :'(

I'm sorry, chickadee, but, as I've stated, I'm new to this whole thing. I can only envy you guys, with your fish, and seemingless never ending knowledge on how to care for them...... :'(

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
hehehehehehehehehehehehehhehe Endless knowledge LOL LOL ;D : Oh MY Goodness!!!! You have no idea how many mistakes I have made and will probably make in the future. It is just that I have very little going on in my life and I have a LOT of books. I also know a couple of fish vets and have a telephone directory full of resource places to call and a whole address book full of places on the internet. The difference between me and the "normal" person out there is that I have the time to do the research most times.

A lot of things you can only learn by trial and error as every fish and fish tank is different. Every time you have a different mix of fish, you basically have a whole new world. So while we can suggest and give you the best of the information at our disposal, the ultimate decisions and actions are yours.

Yes, Bettas do like and NEED a still surface as they "breathe" through the Labyrinth organ on top of his head. They also use gills, but if they are prevented from using the Labyrinth organ to breathe for a long period of time, they can drown. They share this with other fish like Gouramis.

I do hope some of this has been helpful. Don't worry, you will learn fast enough as we all did.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom