Sorting out the water changes and removing fish without trauma

grettathefish
I've got 3 black skirt tetra and 2 platy in my 20gal, and every time I attempt to remove everyone before a cleaning they seem to suffer.. Certainly I can not leave them in while cleaning gravel but removing them almost always leads to a near death experience. Today we intend to clean the glass and gravel, but I fear losing my pregnant platy ... Can anyone help me with this seemingly simple problem?

Pfrozen
You're supposed to leave them in

pagoda
No need to move them from the aquarium during maintenance and water changes

If anything attempting to catch and move them is stressing them out far more. Fish will learn to move out the way when doing routine maintenance on the aquarium....eventually they will get so used to it that they might start to play with you

grettathefish
Pfrozen said:
You're supposed to leave them in
Pfrozen,
Thank you, I did not want to seem ignorant I get worried that the syphon will injure them.. it is a hand operated one but still... my orange platy burrows and is so stubborn about moving from under her favorite rock I don't want to hurt her... is this a normal platy behavior? to burrow stubbornly?

Pfrozen
grettathefish said:
Pfrozen,
Thank you, I did not want to seem ignorant I get worried that the syphon will injure them.. it is a hand operated one but still... my orange platy burrows and is so stubborn about moving from under her favorite rock I don't want to hurt her... is this a normal platy behavior? to burrow stubbornly?
I don't think platys burrow much maybe your just does that. What are you parameters like right now?

Nah, the siphon won't hurt them unless you suck one up and it gets stuck. Just be careful. The fish usually swim away from danger. Def don't put them all in uncycled water just to do a cleaning

Seamus111
Even fish that aren't cave dwellers will hide if frightened. As everyone on this thread has said, leave your fish in, clean your tank. I think most of your fish will actually become used to the weekly routine. They may still hide a bit. But they wont be as stressed as being caught in a net and moved around. Many of my fish follow my hands or siphon tube. Either they are used to it, or hoping some morsel of food might get kicked up.

Top Bottom