Sorry, More Cycle Help Needed

The Fish Lady

I need some advice please. I’m attempting to cycle my new 36gallon tank. It will be 2 weeks on Sunday. I’ve added ammonia and dr Tim’s live bacteria, I’ve also used almost a whole bottle of stability. I have ammonia 4.0 or it could be 8, I have a hard time seeing the difference. I’ve had that for probably 1 week, still no nitrites. Suggestions? Do I leave it or should I do a partial water change and add more dr tims

619CoryFan

Just leave it and let it's thing. Any fish in there now?

logqnty

Just leave it. It will take a while for nitrates to appear.

Charlie’s Dad

Please be patient...... Continue to feed your tank daily and chech parameters every other day........ I fed our tanks with fish food daily and after about 3 weeks or so we were cycled....

Just when you least expect it, you will show 0 0 20-40ppm

Hang in there.....

The Fish Lady

Ok that sounds good. I don’t need to add any more ammonia drops, correct?

Skavatar

8ppm would be too much, over 4ppm ammonia can stall the cycle according to Tetra's faq.

Perhaps you could test the water again and post a picture of the results.

The Fish Lady

Image1547809673.855837.jpg. This is my latest test this morning. Also, when I finally am cycled, do I need to do a water change before adding fish? Thank you everyone

grump299

I would say leave it with that reading looks like 4ppm or close and when you see it down dose back to 4ppm..

I always do a 10% water change no vacuum before I add fish after I cycle...

The Fish Lady

Ok I’ll just stick with it. Thank you

Skavatar

looks like 4ppm, just leave it alone for now and keep testing. once it drops to 0, add 2ppm ammonia.

jdhef

After cycling you'll want to perform a large water change to get the nitrates down. Your goal once you are cycled is to keep nitrates below 20ppm at all times (assuming you have 0ppm nitrates in your tap water). So a water change large enough to get your nitrates down to at least 5ppm would be good.

RookieTank

I am in week 3 of my cycle and still showing little progress. I used ammonia and TSS+.
This is the 2nd cycle I have done and the first time it took 5-6 weeks with no noticeable change until week 4.

Just relax and wait 3 days before testing again. Allow the ammonia to be drawn down a little so you get progress.

It will happen, just be patient.

The Fish Lady

Update- my ammonia level remains the same, 0 Nitrites BUT this morning my water is a little cloudy! I think that is a good sign?! The waiting is the hardest part and not knowing if you need to do more or less.

Jeffsglo

Sounds like your on the right track. Getting there slowly.

Momgoose56

No more ammonia until you get nitrites. Then add ammonia once a day to get ammonia level to 2ppm until tank is cycled. It can take weeks to a couple of months for a tank to cycle.

The Fish Lady

Update #2.. Ammonia now closer to 2 then a definitive 4, nitrites 0 but I believe I have nitrates?
Image1548069865.485682.jpg. My water is still cloudy

Skavatar

looks like 5ppm nitrates.

most people report that they don't see nitrites when using bottled bacteria.

Brooklyn Vasquez

looks like 5ppm nitrates.

most people report that they don't see nitrites when using bottled bacteria.

I actually have nitrites right now and I am using the same bottled bacteria. But I have been having 4ppm for a week and my ammonia doesn't seem to be changing... It is really strange... I am going to do my first nitrate test just to check it out.
Update #2.. Ammonia now closer to 2 then a definitive 4, nitrites 0 but I believe I have nitrates?
Image1548069865.485682.jpg. My water is still cloudy

What type of substrate are you using? It could be the reason why it is cloudy. I suggest you don't do a water change but once you get to the end of cycling you may do so because you will already need to do lower the nitrates below 20 ppm as jdhef was saying.

The Fish Lady

I have sand substrate. My water just started getting cloudy a few days ago so I’m crossing my fingers that it’s a bacterial bloom. Watching and waiting!

Momgoose56

Keep watching! If your ammonia level drops below 2, start adding ammonia to keep it at 1-2 until it starts dropping to zero every day.

The Fish Lady

Image1548285520.794780.jpg
My latest readings. The ammonia has been the same for days. I added 6 guppies on Friday. All but 1 have died ( I know, I’m sorry). However I can only find one of the dead ones . I’m thinking I should do a partial water change and maybe vacuum a little of the food particles if things don’t change this weekend. Any thoughts?

Cichlidude

Image1548285520.794780.jpg
My latest readings. The ammonia has been the same for days. I added 6 guppies on Friday. All but 1 have died ( I know, I’m sorry). However I can only find one of the dead ones . I’m thinking I should do a partial water change and maybe vacuum a little of the food particles if things don’t change this weekend. Any thoughts?
I'm sorry, why would you add fish with Ammonia at 8ppm? You still have weeks to go before any fish should be added.

The Fish Lady

You know, I’m just looking for some advice from people who have more experience than I do. I’m learning again. I don’t need to be verbally spanked every time I ask a question just because it’s something you don’t agree with. And for your information, the photo makes it look a lot darker than it is , it’s much closer to 2 actually. This is why I left this forum in the first place. So thank you.

Cichlidude

No, I’m trying to do a fishless cycle
You said you are doing a fishless cycle that's all.

Momgoose56

Sorry, I didn't go back to refresh myself on what's been happening but you have been adding ammonia right?
Your last guppy may die from ammonia poisoning as well.
Since he's in there, you now have two choices.
First Option: Possibly save the last guppy.
*Change 75% of the water and LIGHTLY vacuum any loose debris from the very top of the gravel/sand. Go to the fish store and get some Seachem Prime
Seachem - Prime
Follow the instructions explicitly that are on the label. Continue to dose your tank with it, as per the Prime instructions, for the next few weeks until your tank is cycled.
Second option: Let the guppy die (he will if first option isn't chosen) if the guppy starts to act sick, scoop him out of the tank into a small plastic cup filled with tank water. Set that cup in a bowl partially filled with ice and water. Pour more cold water into the bowl until the level of ice water is even with the water in the cup. Keep adding ice to the bowl as it melts. The guppy will become torpid (unconscious) and eventually die. This is one of the humane ways to kill sick fish.
Don't put any more fish in the tank until it's cycled unless you want them to die.
The thing is, ANYONE who gets a new fish tank, no matter how clean they keep it, will end up killing their fish over and over again for MONTHS if they don't cycle the tank FIRST. MOST people who think they can get a little tank, throw some fish in there and have an aquarium end up with a nice little aquarium packed away in the garage, tossed in the trash or advertised for sale on ebay 6 months later and are scratching their heads wondering what went wrong or blaming the fish store for selling them sick fish.
You started out the right way, got impatient, and made a mistake.
Time to get back on track. Decide if you're going with option 1 or Option 2 and then we can continue from there okay? Everybody makes mistakes, your's killed some guppys and cost you some money. Don't make that mistake again and I GUARANTEE, that if you cycle your tank the right way, and maintain it properly, your next fish will probably die of old age!

The Fish Lady

Sorry, I didn't go back to refresh myself on what's been happening but you have been adding ammonia right?
Your last guppy may die from ammonia poisoning as well.
Since he's in there, you now have two choices.
First Option: Possibly save the last guppy.
*Change 75% of the water and LIGHTLY vacuum any loose debris from the very top of the gravel/sand. Go to the fish store and get some Seachem Prime
Seachem - Prime
Follow the instructions explicitly that are on the label. Continue to dose your tank with it, as per the Prime instructions, for the next few weeks until your tank is cycled.
Second option: Let the guppy die (he will if first option isn't chosen) if the guppy starts to act sick, scoop him out of the tank into a small plastic cup filled with tank water. Set that cup in a bowl partially filled with ice and water. Pour more cold water into the bowl until the level of ice water is even with the water in the cup. Keep adding ice to the bowl as it melts. The guppy will become torpid (unconscious) and eventually die. This is one of the humane ways to kill sick fish.
Don't put any more fish in the tank until it's cycled unless you want them to die.
The thing is, ANYONE who gets a new fish tank, no matter how clean they keep it, will end up killing their fish over and over again for MONTHS if they don't cycle the tank FIRST. MOST people who think they can get a little tank, throw some fish in there and have an aquarium end up with a nice little aquarium packed away in the garage, tossed in the trash or advertised for sale on ebay 6 months later and are scratching their heads wondering what went wrong or blaming the fish store for selling them sick fish.
You started out the right way, got impatient, and made a mistake.
Time to get back on track. Decide if you're going with option 1 or Option 2 and then we can continue from there okay? Everybody makes mistakes, your's killed some guppys and cost you some money. Don't make that mistake again and I GUARANTEE, that if you cycle your tank the right way, and maintain it properly, your next fish will probably die of old age!
You are right, I'm sorry. Thank you

You said you are doing a fishless cycle that's all.
Cichlidude, I apologize for losing my cool. Frustration got the better of me

Cichlidude

Second option: Let the guppy die (he will if first option isn't chosen) if the guppy starts to act sick, scoop him out of the tank into a small plastic cup filled with tank water.
Maybe a better option is not use the tank water since that is already poisonous. Just try tap water dechlorinated of course to see if it can be saved. Otherwise...

Momgoose56

You are right, I'm sorry. Thank you
Looks like 4 ppm right? Let me know what's happening okay? You need to keep your ammonia at at least 2 ppm. Can you get a picture of that last guppy and your tank and post them here? It'll give me a better idea (in my right brain) of what I'm helping with.

Momgoose56

Looks like 4 ppm right? Let me know what's happening okay? You need to keep your ammonia at at least 2 ppm. Can you get a picture of that last guppy and your tank and post them here? It'll give me a better idea (in my right brain) of what I'm helping with.
You blocked your profile page.
I was going to go back and read our previous posts to see what we've been doing to this point. Do NOT beat yourself up over this. EVERYBODY-even the pros make mistakes! You just did something everybody in this forum has done (except maybe someone who was RAISED by an ichythiologist) and if ANYONE DARES to deny it....I say: liar liar tank on fire!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Mike1995
Replies
Views
Nicolasfox1993
  • Question
Replies