Question Sorry if this is a stupid question but: should I QT before moving to different tank?

SuperCooper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Should I QT fish I already own and would like to put into a different tank?

I would like to move a pair of otos from our 4ft community tank into a 75 litre Betta tank to help with algae control. Should I QT them first?

We have had the community tank up and running for approx 4 months. A few deaths have occurred but nothing to indicate serious disease (I.e. other fish in the same schools did not die /get sick.)

We did not QT the 4ft as this was before we knew we were supposed to. We QT now for all new fish.

As in the title, sorry if this is a stupid question. My other Betta recently died overnight/out of the blue and I'm a bit paranoid!

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Totally not a stupid question, but you can QT your already own fish before you can add them to your established tank. It's better to be safe than sorry.

OP
SuperCooper

SuperCooper

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Crispii said:
Totally not a stupid question, but you can QT your already own fish before you can add them to your established tank. It's better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks for responding! I think I am going to buy another pair of otos to add to the 75L instead of removing them from the 4ft so will definitly QT the new ones! Another question I have is how to feed the otos? My QT tank doesn't have any algae in it and I know that they often don't take to store bought foods. I'm in no rush to add the otos and would prefer to do it slowly and right, so is there something I can do to increase algae into the QT prior to buying them? My QT tank is small, only 15 litres, so I'll need to find a way to supply algae to them for at least 4 weeks! Any ideas or experience in doing this by any chance? :)

Rcslade124

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have heard about getting a rock cleaning it and placing it in water outside in sun to grow algae then add to tank but I have no idea if it's safe or not

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
SuperCooper said:
Thanks for responding! I think I am going to buy another pair of otos to add to the 75L instead of removing them from the 4ft so will definitly QT the new ones! Another question I have is how to feed the otos? My QT tank doesn't have any algae in it and I know that they often don't take to store bought foods. I'm in no rush to add the otos and would prefer to do it slowly and right, so is there something I can do to increase algae into the QT prior to buying them? My QT tank is small, only 15 litres, so I'll need to find a way to supply algae to them for at least 4 weeks! Any ideas or experience in doing this by any chance? :)
You can feed them vegetables.

Corydork

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Rcslade124 said:
I have heard about getting a rock cleaning it and placing it in water outside in sun to grow algae then add to tank but I have no idea if it's safe or not
I‘m sure it would be fine as long as the water is changed frequently as it sat outside. However (by personal experience), otocinclus would probably barely touch the algae, as I’ve seen them take much more interest in bio-film than algae.

New Threads