Sorry, But What Type?

Discussion in 'Driftwood' started by adncarter, Apr 14, 2017.

1. adncarter

adncarter Valued Member Member

2. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

No idea

3. bubblegum-heart

bubblegum-heart Valued Member Member

Not too sure, maybe mesquite or a type of spiderwood... You could try contacting the seller - if you bought it from your LF/PS you could check their Facebook page. (Mine posts whenever they get any new stock in, maybe yours does too.)

4. OP
    OP
    adncarter

I found it on a job

5. Zahc

Zahc Well Known Member Member

Possibly Goldvine ?

6. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

The common name is "Stick"

7. OP
    OP
    adncarter

Halarious

8. K

Katrina C Valued Member Member

Where are you located?
    Make sure you clean that stick!
    Lord knows what stick has been stuck into!

9. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

That's an awesome find! Is sold as spiderwood but I don't know if that's the actual kind of wood or just a style.

The clean it just scrub it really well (no soaps or detergents) and if you can you can boil it. If it won't fit you can pour boiling water on it. You can do a weak bleach dip, but make sure to soak it well afterwards in prime treated water.

10. K

I was going to suggest boiling. Thanks Angel!

11. W

WetWheeles New Member Member

I freeze (chest freezer) pieces that I can't fit into anything to boil it.

12. K

Freezing only stops some problems. Some bacteria and types of fleas, ostracods and other bugs (think cockroach), go in to stasis.
    Be careful!

13. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

Honestly I didn't boil or freeze my spiderwood, it was too big. I scrubbed it really well and let it soak for a month to get it to sink and reduce tannins.... Depends on how paranoid you are. . But if someone asks, I suggest boiling or otherwise sterilizing it. If I mess up my tank, I have to fix it. If my advise hurts someone else's tank, I just created problems for someone else and I'm not good with that.

Edit: I can say none of my wood has come from the "wild" so I'd probably be more cautious if it did.

14. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Not sure where your from but looks like manzanita wood to me. I know that it can be found in the western part of the US. I have some in my tanks and I've never had a problem with it. I've even soaked it during in the tank during Fishless cycling without boiling or anything and added fish.... I know, not best practice but like someone said before lol my tank my problem. :) and it's yet to cause one but I also tend to lean towards less sensitive fish due to my schedule. Also... I've never had tannins from manzanita.

15. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I would be careful, since you found it on a job site it may have pesticides on it or something along those lines.

16. sfsamm

Agreed. In that case I myself would take appropriate precautions also.

17. OP
    OP
    adncarter

It was in an old ladies dusty basement

I pick up junk

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  18. sfsamm

If it was me I'd give it a quick scrub, quick bleach dip and boil a bit and sink it in a bucket or bin testing water before sinking and then again before putting in the tank give it a week or two to soak. So long as parameters are good on both ends personally I'd put it in the tank... My biggest fear out of a dusty old lady basement is that it was used as decor and lacquered/stained or something prior to preserve it. Inspect it with bias and toss it if your not convinced it's untreated. (it was a freebie after all ;) )

19. OP
    OP
    adncarter

Gooey stuff is peeling off of the wood. It seems very soft. But after i use my fingernail on it, I eventually come to true wood

20. sfsamm

Personally that would make it nope wood in my book.

I might put it on a shelf or in a vase, but sounds treated and therefore I'd not put it near my tank water. :/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice