Sorority Tank suggestions.........

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by FishVixen, Mar 25, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

Hi Gang, The Betta bug has hit. I have an empty 55 gal and I'm going to set it up as a sorority tank. plan in lots of caves and rock with a low light "jungle" of plants. Probibly cardinal tetra I don't kmow for sure yet. With 6 or 7 female Betta.

Really need suggestions as I've never owned a female Betta.I have done my research but know I need suggestions as far as what plants, compatible inhabitants, lighting (what wattage and for how long per day.) or anything else you my think of.

I know this will be a challenge but I'm up to it. :;thx

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:-\ I'd suggest a 5g tank and enjoy a betta for what is usually is.
    A solitary fish.
    Although I'm sure you can take on a challenge, Imo, why force this on the fish?

I'm sure others will say they've done it but most times you'll here things like
    'They're fine, they just hide from each other, 'they only nip a little', or the time line that they've had a sorority is minimal.

Many more members have tried sororities only to have someone hurt or killed.

It may work for a little while, but as they mature, so does the fish's dispostion.

Have a back up plan, just in case and as always, your tank, your choice.

3. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm going to agree with Lucy on this one. I tried keeping several females together in a 45 gallon heavily planted community and it did not work for me. It was amazing to me that they could even find each other to beat each other up in the jungle of plants among all the other fish in that big tank, but they did. It was a disappointing experience for me, but a learning experience as well. I had to remove the first girl less than 24 hours after adding them. She was getting picked on and those little girlies are relentless! LOL.

4. critter_fritter79

critter_fritter79 Well Known Member Member

I have my sorority in a 55 gallon tank. I have had no problems with nipping or hiding... YET. I watch this tank like a hawk every day because like Lucy said as the females mature they can get violent with no warnings. I also have several back up tanks for when I need to pull one that has gotten violent. I haven't had to yet, but I fully expect one day I will need to. My sorority is almost a necessity due to all the breeder females I have. Until my move is complete, I need to combine as much space as I can. However, I honestly feel like I am tempting fate. I would't suggest anyone who isn't home all day even try it... Once they get aggressive, serious injury or death can happen within minutes...

5. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I don't recommend it....In fact I stopped selling my girls to people who planned on a sorority tank....Too heartbreaking to hear all the problems that go along with it.....

Good luck!

6. critter_fritter79

Exactly MM, if that tank wasn't right by my chair and next to my supply drawers where I am by it all day, I wouldnt even attempt it. It is very stressful honestly trying to keep an eye on everyone watching for the first signs of a problem. I am actually in the process of designing a tank where everyone will have their own space. I will be much more comfortable that way. In my experience, all bettas prefer to be alone which is what I would suggest to anyone considering a sorority...

7. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with the above posters, although I've never attempted it. To be perfectly honest, because of all the horror stories of sorority tanks going wrong, I refuse to attempt it myself. It just seems too risky to the safety and health of the girls for me to feel comfortable doing it or advising anyone else to do it.

8. OP
    OP
    FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

I want to thank each and every one of you. Any female I get will get her own 10 gal just like my males. The sorority tank idea is out the window. Thanks everyone.

9. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Here's an article on sororities.  
    I've never kept one but when I start breeding in May I still have no plans to.

10. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Well... if you want to get more ladies, you could always divide your 10 gallon tanks and keep 2 to a tank. There's a sticky about homemade tank dividers, I think it's by Shawnie. :)

11. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Wow, I guess I'm the exception to the rule. I had a 20 gallon sorority with 8 females in it (no other fish). It was indeed a very peaceful tank and quite beautiful, given the variety of colors of the females. The tank karma could be because I had a Buddha statue in there. :rolleyes:

Of course, I also had a male and female betta that were happier together, in the same 10 gallon tank, than apart. They co-existed beautifully. I kept a watchful eye but these two were soul-mates and there was never a problem.

12. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

It's not that they can't work LyndaB, it's just that lot of the time, in the experiance of the forum, they don't work.

13. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Red, it's always shocked me a bit to see that I'm one of the few that something (anything) actually worked for when it doesn't seem to work for the general population. Believe me, it's quite often the opposite. :anim_63:

14. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Aw Lynda, you can bask in the sorority glory this time then!! The buddha governs all!

FishVixen, many thanks for taking the advice on board, I've never tried it either, but all the stories put me off (I'm not as brave as Lynda lol!). There have been people in the past very angry at having been advised exactly the same info as you got above. They certainly never took it as it is intended (and luckily as you have taken it), as friendly advice and warnings but pointing out it CAN work, but it USUALLY doesn't.

15. Shine

Shine Well Known Member Member

Awesome article Red. The writer was even moderately entertaining... I personally loved the comment about female bettas turning into evil little harpies at 6mths! :anim_63::anim_63:

And being a horse person comparing the group dynamics to a herd of mares appealed to me. Though given the general consensus on this site that comparison made it sound a tad too easy ;)

16. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

I have had two successful sororities, Lynda. The only reason I don't still have my first one is because I lost almost all the girls to ick that was brought in by an upside down catfish I failed to quarantine (learned my lesson there!). The current sorority has seven girls in it (last one had nine), none of them are related, and there's MINIMAL hiding and I haven't had any fin nipping, just a little flaring when they were first introduced. My neons and platies hide more than my girls do (they're in a 55gal tank with neons, platies, a couple of guppies, kuhli loaches, albino cories, a couple of otos and one very grumpy USD catfish). But, apparently from what other people have said on here, you and I are the exception, not the rule.

17. critter_fritter79

mine is working just fine...I just expect to see trouble eventually with all the trouble others have had. Honestly, my girls seem to really like their tank! But from hearing about all the trouble others have had I am paying very close attention..

18. bassbonediva

It's kind of weird 'cuz this is the only site where I've heard of people having problems with sororities. I'm a member of several other forums, including UltimateBettas, and haven't heard of anyone else having major problems with a sorority. I've never had an aggression-related injury (unless you count nipped fins and that is something that happens with just about every type of fish, including my platies and mean guppies) or death. :;dk My previous sorority was up and running for a year and changed tanks in the middle of that as well (from an 18gal tall Eclipse 1 tank to a 46gal bowfront tank). :;dk I do check my girls all the time when I'm home, but I also check my boys and the other fish in the tanks too. IDK.

19. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

The only site? Hardly. I respectfully disagree with that.

20. bassbonediva

I meant the only site that I've found. I'm sure there are others out there, but I haven't seen them. *shrug*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice