Sorority Stocking(tank Mates-how Many)

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by sassymomma, Apr 26, 2017.

1. sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

It's a 38 gallon bowfront, and I'll be making a betta sorrority.

there are not a lot of girls left to choose from- maybe 12 left in the tank, and not all are appreopriate, so I will probably end up with about 7 female bettas(and a BN pleco that I own already) I will keep it at 77-78

In 38 gallons, I can see it looking a little bare, so I'm considering tank mates, but I don't want to stress the girls, or have sick fish due to bad stocking choices.

Which-fish might be good options to join the tank, and how many of each? I have so far as options:Sterpai corie, platies.

I would like a few choices, because where I buy my fish has rotating stock, but it's always healthy- I want to be able to choose from what they have in, and add while my cycle is still strong from having 4 goldfish in the tank.

2. cc328Valued MemberMember

I love having loaches in my sorority (kuhli or weather), and recently added some balloon mollies, who are very fun to watch. Cory cats are also a good tankmate for bettas.

3. sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

I love khuli loaches but they creep out my daughter and the tank is in the common room lol. She'd probably throw a blanket over the tank if I put "snakes " in there

Oh....a picture might help, for the sake of seeing potential territory 366cbad56ae3cf7f1290f1fa602eff80.jpg
    I'll be adding caves and plants this weekend when the goldfish return to the pond- I have Val's, Anubis and wisteria waiting, coconut huts and a basket being woven with java moss

4. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Don't do platies, sterbai cories would be the better option.
    As a side note, BN plecos need cooler temps than that, so I would do a clown pleco instead.

5. sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

I checked, and BN can go up to 79. I will run at 77. He's not negotiable, as I've had him since Christmas, and am quite attached

6. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

79 is too high long term. Where did you see this?

7. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

I love my weather loaches but they would need much cooler water than bettas. My mum is creeped out by them though!

How about a school of bronze or albino cories? You could mix them. Also some snails would be cool. They don't add a lot of activity but they do add interest and children love doing a "snail hunt" and trying to spot them all. They also help eat leftover food and algae (but it depends what type of snail)

I agree BN plecos need cooler water.

8. sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  9. BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

77 Is a little warm for BNs long term and a little cool for bettas long term. Keeping them both at this temperature will just lead to stress.

10. sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

He's thrived at 78 for months , since I got him. Doubled in size

Every care sheet I have come across says up to 80.....across multiple websites

Temperature was the first thing I checked when I got him, because I panicked when he escaped acclimation in his bag and went straight into an 18c tank from a 78degree pet store. I have researched extensively

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  11. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yeah, but that doesn't really support your side of the argument, because that is exactly what a faster metabolism does...... If kept permanently at those temps they have shorter lifespans.

12. sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

Not to be argumentative..but you have not supported your own statement. I have provided the link to the one care sheet, and I did(though they were removed) provide screenshots of two caresheets.

According to the knowledge that I have found on my own, and the advice of my fish manager, I am providing a proper home to this pleco. He knows the temperature that I keep my tanks at. I have never been told that I am not providing proper care until now-regardless that he's been in with a betta since I got him. Tank sizes are good, food is good. Temperature is within range of all of the care sheets that I have found. He shows no signs of stress, is active, well coloured and eats well. The only time he paled out and showed stress was when he spent time in an un-heated tank, because my house has no such thing as stable temperature

13. sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

Now that this thread has been throughly derailed from it's purpose, I see no point in it's continuation. I will move on the advice of my fish manager, who will answer the questions at hand.

14. aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Interesting debate here, but let's not derail the thread.

15. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

You did ask about tank mates. I agree that BN plecos aren't temp compatible with bettas.

Platies aren't temp compatible and would likely stress your females.

If the pleco is a must, and you like platies, why not pass on the sorority for now, until you can provide proper temps for all fish involved, and stock around the pleco and platies?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice