Sore On Plecco Belly

ladyfrench

Reaction score
I noticed a big open sore on my plecco this morning. This is the first day that I’ve noticed it. I do 25% water changes weekly. I just moved my fish from a 55 gallon into a 125 about a month ago. I haven’t had any issues since moving them until now.
I used half of the old water plus some quick start to help cycle the tank. Everybody else in the tank seems to be doing okay.
I just tested the water and here are the results:
PH 6.0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20-40
Nitrite 0

As you can see my PH is low due to the water that we have. I put two bags of crushed coral into the filters after the testing and will continue to monitor the PH.

Could this be a burn from the heaters?
I don’t have a quarantine tank. How would you suggest I treat this? The melafix tends to be harsh on my angelfish (2 of them)

Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That looks like a wound rather than an infection. Are there any sharp objects in your tank he could have snagged on? Any aggressive fish or another pleco in the tank he could be arguing with? Your water is way too acidic for a pleco. I'd suggest putting crushed coral down as another thick layer of substrate to increase that pH and the KH in your tank. Just in the filter doesn't look like it's enough. Do you have a GH/KH test kit? API has a good one.
Could you fill this out for us?
Fish Emergency Template
In the mean time, if you don't have Gouramis, bettas or other labyrinth fish in the tank, you could remove any carbon in your filtration and add Pimafix rather than Melafix to help prevent an infection while he heals. It may be less irritating to your Angel's and help prevent infection, suprainfection and his general slime coat/skin. The ingredients in Pimafix are different than Melafix.

OP
ladyfrench

ladyfrench

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I’ll order some now.
Do you think it’s a burn from one of the heaters perhaps? The only thing I think that he might be able to snap himself on is this rock. I have their night lights on so it might be hard to see.

It makes me nervous adding coral to their substrate. I haven’t lost any fish in so long I don’t want any spikes in PH or KH. How much would you suggest adding?

Attachments

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's not going to change your pH or KH fast at all. Crushed coral is primarily calcium (Ca) and magnesium (Mg). It will take awhile (days to weeks) for the Ca and Mg to leach out enough for you to see a change in your tank KH, and that long or longer to see a change in the pH. Your pH doesn't need to come up that much, but neither plecos nor Angel's will do as well in a pH of 6 as they will with a pH of 6.8 or 7.
You could start with 2 pounds crushed coral per 10 gallons of tank water. So about 25 pounds for a 125 gallon tank.

ladyfrench said:
Thanks for your response. I’ll order some now.
Do you think it’s a burn from one of the heaters perhaps? The only thing I think that he might be able to snap himself on is this rock. I have their night lights on so it might be hard to see.

It makes me nervous adding coral to their substrate. I haven’t lost any fish in so long I don’t want any spikes in PH or KH. How much would you suggest adding?
I don't think a pleco or any other fish would stay in contact with a tank heater long enough to get burned unless by some weird accident they were trapped up against it. Even snails drop off the heater when it first starts getting warm.

New Threads