Sore/lesion On My New Betta, Or... Nothing At All?? Help

1. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

So as I posted the other day, I did a bad thing and brought home another betta cup rescue. I have noticed this light spot at the base of his tail right where it splits in two since he was in the cup, and assumed it to be part of his coloring. After a few days he's been out and about more and I've gotten a better look at it, and... I'm just paranoid. I'm pretty sure I can see light shine through the spot as he swims. It doesn't appear to be an actual wound or disturbance in the skin, but it's definitely thinner than the rest of the flesh, and when the light shines through the right way it looks pinkish. I'm afraid it may be something of concern and I just don't want to wait to ask. He seems very healthy, eats well, swims well, it just looks really strange and I've never seen anything like it. Is this maybe just a thing with double tails? Betta experts weigh in please? I just spent an hour trying to take a photo that even shows it, and this is the best I could do. I'll take a video if necessary.

IMG_8462.JPG

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I've never seen anything like that but I would keep the water clean by doing frequent water changes and just watch it. If anything I would do a dip in Methylene Blue or Betta Revive but only if you want to.

3. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Thanks - I plan on just keeping up with weekly wc's and hoping everything is normal... the tank is newly cycled, super clean and full of plants, so hopefully either it'll heal up quickly or I'll realize it's just part of him and forget about it.

What is the active ingredient of betta revive? I've never heard of it... things with names like that make me think scam, like bettafix just being melafix plus water lol. Might try a bit of melafix in case it is a small wound, that is if it doesn't heal up in at least a week or so. Curious what is in this product though and why you recommend it?

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

Betta Revive contains Methylene Blue, Malachite Green and Neomycin, which is an antibiotic.

5. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

Hm. Never heard of it but sounds like a good thing to have.

I think I'll give him a week or two of life in a healthy tank and good food and see how he fares... and maybe add a few things to my current shopping cart on foster and smith just in case.

6. California L33 Well Known Member Member

It's hard to tell from that picture, and I'm not experienced with bettas at all, but my little guy's body is light colored and he's quite translucent when back lit. If that's his natural coloration, and it's just a spot with less pigment (like around his face), it may be normal. Do the scales look normal in that section?

7. MissRuthless Well Known Member Member

It must have been a wound of some sort - I did a lot of staring at him and eventually could tell from the right angle that there weren't any scales at all, or anything, it actually looked like a hole... I changed maybe 40% Thursday, Saturday and yesterday and it's gone now. I can't imagine what would cause a wound like that, or maybe it was just the first place he started to rot from living in a cup.

I moved a few more plants into the tank, including 3-4 good sized water sprites and that helped him come out of his shell. He eats like a little pig now and already comes right over to beg when he sees me :)

8. California L33 Well Known Member Member

I'm glad you little guy is feeling better. :) Keep up the good work.