Soooooo...... Fishkeeping in an RV..... Funny

1. theshiftys_jm Member Member

With so many tanks of various sizes.... What else was I supposed to put that under? Besides "Funny...."

I guess that makes us the "Ultimate Full Timers???" *LOL*

Yes, yes... 2 1.5's... 1- 5 gallon, 1-15 gallon, 1-30 gallon, and 2-55's...

Nope, it's not crowded... Yes, it's tastefully done as to maximize space...

How? You ask? Ermmmm.. *LOL*

It's easy, throw out the free standing dinette in one slide out... Give away a sofa sleeper couch in the back and VOILA!!! Room for tanks! *LOL*

Don't try this until you have contacted the manufacturer of said RV and speak to an engineer... Mine is a Carriage... All is well.. *LOL*

It's a true four seasons unit. I can attest to this as we have been through no less than seven blizzards here in Colorado, and never froze up once...

HOWEVER.... As well insulated as it is. 1 55 is in a slide hanging out into mid-air, not a problem, even with the bit of cold soak that does get in... The big issue is the large by huge window that is behind it. Dual pane, yes... Window shades, tinted very dark, etc... Sun, and cold still hit the back glass of the tank. This winter so far, hasn't been too bad. I have two 350 watt stealth pro heaters in it. So far I have only seen a drop of 1 degree. The summer is where it's going to be interesting. In my other tank I noticed a rise of 3 to 3.5 degrees. I was able to bring the tank temp back down by opening the hoods and cranking the AC up. Good for the tanks but hard on a Wife that is going through chemo....

I am holding off buying chillers, unless I absolutely have to. I'll try open hoods with small fans next summer to see how that works.....

I'll add more to this as I go, but I have to go for now.

Michael

2. Amanda Fishlore VIP Member

WOw!! I would love to see pics of that set-up!!

3. Kerber23 Member Member

O,O can i live in your RV :p

4. TFA101 Well Known Member Member

Can we get pictures?? :photo:

I was thinking about taking my bettas on our RV trip, but it wasn't a smooth ride, so we didn't...

5. Borisbbadd Guest

We need pictures............:camera:

How do you keep the water in the tanks on rough and bumpy roads?

6. theshiftys_jm Member Member

That's the beauty of an inverter, half full tanks, padded, and braced on the floor, and a mor'ryde air bag suspension on the trailer that smooths out the bumps. Empty this weighs 16,000 pounds, so i'm guestimating that with fish tanks, all of our stuff and so on we're close to 18,000.. It actually pulls well, though my truck knows it's there, it doesn't bounce nor beat the heck out of you towing it. My cat rides in the trailer on trips, and when we stop we find her sleeping comfortably on the bed so i'm guessing that the ride back here is not that bad. My betta's ride in their betta cups, so their tanks are empty. The others, for the short trips we have taken seem to be fine. Pretty cool huh?

7. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

wow! That sounds great! Can't wait for some pics too! Curious though, how does the RV hold all the weight of the tanks? :;sh

8. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Great question. It's one I had myself before I started all this. I contacted the manufacturer, (Carriage Inc.) The main floor is 3/4" OSB on top of a matrix of 2" X 2" Aluminum beams. Engineer states that I can put whatever I want on main floor, slides hold an extra 1500 pounds on top of the weight they are already supporting. I love something that is over-engineered and over-built.. *LOL*

9. theshiftys_jm Member Member

I think this is going to be a continuation of the hello thread as well... So I tested the 30 gallon Parrot tank... Which I admittedly short-cycled.... Nitrites are at 0, Nitrates at 10, Ammonia at 0, but the ph zinged on me...... Went from 7.0 to 7.8..... What the....????

*Sigh* Ok so the ph went up... Water is STILL milky, so i'm going to assume it's from the substrate dust.... I don't care what anyone says, unless your rinsing this stuff for a couple of hours, your not going to get it all... This all started when I reset the powerheads on the undergravel filter. Never been a fan of them but was talked into using them. I have two Marineland 440's pumping from the towers, which I had to raise. Not feeling confident with those AT ALL.... I added a Penguin 150 biowheel, and an Aquaclear rated from 30-50 gallon tanks.... Don't remember the model.... Only thing I did in the Aquaclear, since it had been running on another tank for a few months, besides rinse the charcoal filter, which was changed on 11-15-2009, was change the ceramic rings... Water STILL cloudy.... Beginning to thing i'll ditch the undergravel filter.....

10. scatty Member Member

Wow! Definately need pics!

11. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Trying to upload pics. Having to go through photobucket to do it, but i'll have some up here in my album soon.

12. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

13. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Cool! Thanks Ken!

I have just finished uploading them to photobucket.... So, how do I get them to transfer over to my album? I've tried the image code, and url code, hit the upload button and.... Nothing...

14. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Alright, since i'm tired of fighting with it, I posted some pics in the pics thread. Hope you enjoy them!

15. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Copy the IMG code and paste in on your message :) the pic comes up on the message :)

16. theshiftys_jm Member Member

It's small tank cleaning time!!! Since the 1.5 gals have the cheesy air driven filters, and the squashed marbles, which the good stuff has a hard time growing on, I just tear them down, put the boys in their betta cups and do a full clean. The five gallon I vacuum and do around a 50% water change. Also, being it's the first of the month, filter changes all around!

Admirals quarters are done, brewing (I call it that... I let it run for an hour or so, letting the heater do it's job.) The five gallon is done, that leaves Lieutenants quarters, and my nieces fish, opaline gourami, which we are babysitting. I'll do a thread on him. He's an..................... Interesting character....

17. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Wow... Can't wait for pic's :D

18. speed0factory Member Member

I wanna see the picture seem like it very intersting here

19. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Pics over in the freshwater pic section, thread titled "Tanks n Tanks again."

Thanks guys!

Cleaned the four smally tanks last night, 30% water changes on the 30 and community 55. Tomorrow night, African 55.... Along with filling in the holes in the front that they so kindly dug. I griped about the digging at first, (VERY funny story behind that.), then after my Mrs. so kindly pointed out: "Honey, YOU own the outside of the tank, THEY own the inside, and as far as they see you, your their buddy.... (Long pause, followed by a pat on the back) "And chief cook and bottle washer." :;rules

20. theshiftys_jm Member Member

Wow, that's wierd, prior to this post, star and green award thingios are gone. I post this... And they re-appear......