Soooo... Stocking Suggestions? 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by MaddieLynn, Apr 6, 2010.

1. MaddieLynn

MaddieLynn Well Known Member Member

I did some tank swapping and now all I have in my 29g is 10 neons. I'd like to get tons of ideas on what else to stock! I'm not sure exactly what I'm wanting, only that I don't really want cichlids. Suggestions?

2. bass master

bass master Well Known Member Member

Ive always like swordtails, maybe have 1 male and 2-3 females? Or maybe a gourami for the top region then some cories for the bottom? Just some simple ideas :)

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

With neons, I think dwarf neon rainbows and GBRs would look great together. Perhaps some orange flame tetras too to bring out the yellows and reds in the GBR

4. angelfish220

angelfish220 Well Known Member Member

I pearl gourami would look really nice, maybe some sort of loach for the bottom? Yoyos are cool, but I know absolutely nothing about them.

5. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

6. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

I got a dwarf gourami tonight because I love them, so now I have 10 neons and one DG.

7. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Have you thought maybe about guppys? They're pretty cool active little fish!

8. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Oooh, pretty! What color variant did you get? :)

I would suggest a school of cories or smaller loaches like yo yo's for the bottom of your tank. I think that would about do it as far as stocking.

9. OP
    OP
    MaddieLynn

Just the regular blue & orange striped kind. I used to have one several months ago who lived for several months, but I lost him when I had a tank leak. I think he got to stressed from various water temps etc. while I was trying to get everyone safe. He was the only one I lost, though! I've been wanting another one ever since.

I'm naming him Sprite after the first one. As far as the rest of the stocking, I was thinking maybe a pearl gourami or 2 and a farlowella if I can find one. My LFS had them at one point. Maybe some cories or kuhlis for the bottom. I used to have kuhlis so I'm thinking maybe I'll try cories now. I'm still open to more suggestions, though!

10. e_watson09

Personally I wouldn't get another gourami as you really don't have all that much more space and I've heard that can get territorial (please correct me if I'm wrong) but then the farlowella will also get much too large for your tank as they get to be about 30 inches long.

Some corys would be a good choice they're really active and fun to watch, or well that again is my opinion. I currently have 3 pandas but I plan to add atleast 3 more maybe of a different breed I'm not positive yet, but I plan to add them after I make sure my new guys are doing alright.

So since the farowella won't due in your tank have you thought maybe about otos? They'll keep your tank in tip top condition! They also like to be in groups of around 5. Then maybe some dwarf neon rainbows as another person mentioned. They're really cool and active. Then have you thought about some barbs? Cherry barbs or snakeskin barbs should do well in your tank... Then whenever I had neon tetras I always had glolight tetras as well.

Although I have yet to find a LFS or Petstore that carries snakeskin barbs. I'm ordering them offline in a couple days.

EDIT:
    So to list out my suggestions so its easier to google them for pictures ;)
    -Oto catfish (I believe they're technically cats I forget)
    -Dwarf neon rainbow
    -Cherry barb
    -Snakeskin barb
    -Glolight tetra

Other than that you're going to have to wait until I get home from work to see what a) we have in the tank and b) I can look some of them up for you

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  11. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Farlowella acus is a great choice and grows to about 6 inches. ;)

I've kept this fish before and it is easily outcompeted for food. If you want to keep one, I would suggest keeping it as your only bottom dweller.

12. e_watson09

Whoops I totally read that wrong sorry! The site I was on said 7" and then it should be in a tank that is 30" long. I just saw the inches and went with it. Blonde moment thank you for correcting me! :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice