SOOO HOT!

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It's so HOT in NY that it's not even funny anymore. My cousin's fish are dying one by one because the water is so hot in their tank, despite her having her A/C turned on. I have a few A/C's running in my house right now! It's supposed to be anywhere between 110 - 120F where I live! I can't believe it. If not for my A/C's - all of my fish would probably be dead by now. When I open the door outside (and it's cool inside thanks to A/C), it's like literally walking into a hot sauna with the humidity we have here.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Measured the temperature outside my house around 12pm today ... 120.4 F !!! I'll measure it again in an hour or two to see if it can get any hotter than it already is. Unbelievable.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I don't even go to my pool when it's hot like this. I don't want to get sunburns. I remember one summer I burned my skin so badly that I had blisters on my arms. Yuck.

Update: I just measured the temperature again, it went up to 122F and then an alarm turned on the thermometer (it's a digital one) - it doesn't measure above 122F. So right now it may be anywhere between 122-130F (not kidding) in the sun. It is the hottest day I have ever seen.

Craig

Well Known Member
Reaction score
the UK had its own little heatwave we got temperatures up 2 36degrees (which was a record over here lol) but its all cooled down again with a northerly wind thank goodness!!!!!

C W

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
HAHA now you guys feel the heat as Im feeling the cold, but for some reason we are having a very dry yet cold winter. Probably like pour down with rain as it gets hot or something like that. Also its funny how craig you said a northerly wind is the cool change, for us its a hot change and a southerly windd is the cool change. You guys will b ok, there isnt much of summer left.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
August is our warmest month here in the south USA and its going to be a record setter I'm afraid.
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Craig ... 122F is 50C - imagine that! (That's in the sun - in shadow I probably had at least 110 yesterday, which is around 43C).

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella do you live rigt in the city? I grew up in Chicago without a patch of grass to call my own and the heat was awful. All that pavement and blacktop reflecting the heat.
Maybe thats why I enjoy my quiet little yard so much LOL
Carol

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Carol, I don't live right in the city (i.e. close to Manhattan). I live on the outskirts of NYC (it's the island but the western end closest to the city). But I go to the city a lot, and believe me, it's even worse there - you're right, all the concrete in the city only reflects the sun and creates even more heat; + all the A/C's around NYC ... disgusting. Though all the concrete and A/C's do contribute a lot to the heat, it's really the sea that makes the climate so hot and humid in NYC as well as in Long Island. During the spring and fall no one uses A/C and there is not so much sunlight, yet is it very humid and therefore hot. That's why it's hot where I live as well (even though I've a backyard with grass and some trees) - I've water all around me, as does everyone in NYC and Long Island. The water from the sea is constantly evaporating and creating humidity.

Nevertheless, I want to eventually move out of NY, you know. I just don't like the climate here, particularly the horrible humidity. And it seems to be getting worse from year to year (I bet global warming has a big part in our changing climate). I do not remember such a hot season as we've had these last couple of days. Winters, on the other hand, are so cold (AND HUMID) here, but with no snow - just terribly low temperatures and freezing wind. I don't mind cold winters as long as they're not windy and humid. And I don't mind hot summers, AS LONG AS THEY'RE NOT HUMID! Climate can have such a big influence on your life when it's so humid ... OK, end of this annoying topic, lol.

Ryan.O.

Valued Member
Reaction score
I know what u mean i hate it when its humiin australia it only snows in a small part of the country not where i live. i have never touched snow in my hole life. it must b heaps fun playin around in the snow.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom