Somewhat Of An Emergency, New Filter

Allan Mach
so I bought a new filter, an aqua clear 70 for my 20 gallon, because I knew that my cartridge 20 g topfin wasn't cutting it and it just stopped working out of nowhere, but I was planning on running them together side by side for a month, like you should normally do, but then the normal 20 gallon stopped working completely, I'm glad I got the new one in time but what about my established bacteria, what should I do?

Rtessy
Switch all media in the old filter into the working one. If it's incompatible, try to cut it and stuff it in, or worst case lay it on your substrate I the tank to keep the BB alive

Allan Mach
Start treating with SeaChem Stability.
wouldn't this cause a minI cycle ?

Thunder_o_b
wouldn't this cause a minI cycle ?
No it is the bacteria that is the cycle.

The Rover
so I bought a new filter, an aqua clear 70 for my 20 gallon, because I knew that my cartridge 20 g topfin wasn't cutting it and it just stopped working out of nowhere, but I was planning on running them together side by side for a month, like you should normally do, but then the normal 20 gallon stopped working completely, I'm glad I got the new one in time but what about my established bacteria, what should I do?

Put as much of the Topfin cartridge floss in your Aqua Clear and you shouldn’t have any major issues. But you can do the following to just be sure.

You should test daily and if you have any trace of ammonia dose Seachem Prime to protect your fish. As previously stated, you can also add Seachem Stability daily to help boost your bb. Repeat this daily for a week and your tank should be fully seeded after that time.

Don’t add any new fish during this time so you don’t stress your bb any more than it already is.

Allan Mach
i
Put as much of the Topfin cartridge floss in your Aqua Clear and you shouldn’t have any major issues. But you can do the following to just be sure.

You should test daily and if you have any trace of ammonia dose Seachem Prime to protect your fish. As previously stated, you can also add Seachem Stability daily to help boost your bb. Repeat this daily for a week and your tank should be fully seeded after that time.

Don’t add any new fish during this time so you don’t stress your bb any more than it already is.
I can just add prime without doing a water change?

The Rover
i

Prime will protect your fish up to 1ppm of ammonia and nitrites combined. So test for ammonia and nitrites. If less than 1ppm combined then you don’t have to do a wc. If the combined number is 1ppm or higher then do a big enough wc to get your tank below 1ppm.

If your Topfin is fully seeded you most likely won’t see that high of ammonia and nitrites but just test daily over that 7 day period.

i

I should also clarify just case, that A dose of Prime is good for 24 hours if you have any ammonia and/or nitrites so you’ll need to dose every 24 hours if your tests come up positive.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
turtlefish
Replies
Views
Islandvic
Replies
Views
Aquaphobia
Replies
Views