Sometimes I wish I could ban....

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

Sometimes I wish I could ban 10 gallon tanks... They serve their purpose to those who know what they're doing with them. But sometimes I wish I could ban 10 gallons (or less) just to save all the newbies from some of the common mishaps that come from purchasing such a small aquarium. I've been there and fell victim of starting small wishing I would have gone bigger.

My tank size doubled in size at least every year from the first date of purchase. 14gal to a 30gal to a 65gal. Almost got a 100gal but just didn't work out.

If 10 gallons were special order I think new hobbyist would automatically go bigger...10 gallons seemed like such a round number to me when I first started so I thought I was even better at 14 ;)

Just a thought that crossed my mind...even though some of my best knowledge has been learned from making mistakes....

[​IMG]
    Group of H. Rasboras

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Our 10 gallon tanks are larger than yours, 45 litres.
    They make good breeding or quarantine tanks & good tanks for some of the smaller, slower swimming fish so I wouldn't ban them here, but I do agree they need stocking with care.

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

Totally agree there. Also helps with observation and not using excess meds. However they're often starter-tanks, which leaves less room for error, but the plus always is when you finally realize you need a bigger tank, you know already have an adequate QT :party0049:

4. blusshed Well Known Member Member

I feel like 10gal should only be sold to people as a quarantine tank, or for certain species. It should be very specific and you should have to ask a sales associate about the 10gal instead of having it readily available for anyone to grab.

5. Crissandra331 Member Member

Have it on a really really tall shelf? lol

I have one pet store that asks me about my tank size when I buy fish. Sometimes I wish people would ask Fish Size when selling a tank ;)

6. smee82 Well Known Member Member

They also make great shrimp or nano fish tanks. Banning them would be a huge mistake.

7. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yeah as stated above said they're great when people use them for responsibly, also said special order could be beneficial. Just simply saying that more than often their initially bought for the wrong reason. Though I agree with selling them as Nano Fish Set-ups or Shrimp Tanks, or QT, but I've never seen a 10 gallon tank kit advertised for that purpose, and that's all i'm referring to, the misconception of it all.

8. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

Instead of banning a certain tank size, why not push to inform new fishkeepers before they purchase stock?

10 gallon tanks aren't big by any means, but are relatively easy to responsibly stock even with basic available fish at a LFS. Even 5g tanks, while having more limited options, can be appropriate for many nano fish and invert species.

9. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I wonder if you would be allowed to make little stickie tabs to attach to each tank at your local LFS given that you have a good relationship with them, notating tank size and stocking suggestions, something like:

Fancy Goldfish:

I need minimum 20 gallons per fish
    I require temp between +/-
    I require so many of me in my shoal/school
    This is what I like to eat
    I get along with these friends

and so on.... Obviously, this would be unrealistic at most LFS, but may be possible at some :)

10. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

What I would band would be those dang cups that bettas are put in :mad:
    I do understand tho what you are saying. 10 gallons are beginner killers lol

Oh yea, and I loovvveee that pic of the rasboras.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. Crissandra331 Member Member

OHHHH I would ban them darn beta cups long before 10 gallons! Their just torture devices! I've had this one beta cup forever that I absolutely loved for scooping up gravel and it broke the day before yesterday!! That's the best use for them ;)

My Rasboras are so active that was the first time they slowed down enough to get a pic of them! I wonder if their Hengels or Harlequins cause their BRIGHT orange? Either way glad I picked em up :)

12. smee82 Well Known Member Member

I reckon we just ban stupidity that should cover people thinking bettas can live in an inch of water and most pet shop employees ect.

I dont include not knowing something as stupid, Stupid is not asking Questions when you don't know something.

13. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, the cups aren't the problem, the lack of information is. It should be on the sellers to inform customers of basic care requirements for the fish they intend to buy.

14. garikapc Member Member

Info is key. Banning smaller tanks outright will create a bigger price barrier for newbies and for those limited by budget or space. Someone with heart and brains who only has a desk to work with should be able to get a fluval edge or the like. There can also be a push to stop branding small tanks as easy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. WhiteWulfe Member Member

Only reason I bought a 20 gallon high/tall in the first place (instead of the 55 I originally wanted) was simply because of the price I got it for (stand, filter, tank, gravel, decorations, and even fish... even if most of that was replaced in the first two weeks!). $80 was a lot easier to swallow to make sure I enjoyed it, versus the $430 CAD Fluval 55 gallon kits go for up here. Of course, I didn't realize there were other options back then...

As for my 10 gallon, I bought it mainly because a 20 gallon felt excessive for just a betta.

I can't really see how banning specific sizes would be of benefit, in comparison to proper information/education being out there. Oh, and people doing at least a bit of research before going "I want that colourful one!"

16. mg13 Well Known Member Member

I would ban "Betta tanks" that they sell,

not going to start myself.

ok maybe just one thing, I have not seen ONE with a heater icluded... filter? yes. heater? NO!

sigh...

17. frogfan Well Known Member Member

The 29 g tetra starter kit i got came with a filter and heater but anyway. Tank size is not really the issue they need to stop people from selling fish (or any pet) with out proper knowlage of the care of those animals . The chains stores especily hire kids who dont know anything about fish much less anything else they try to sell you. Even the supossed "fish expert" at my local chain petstore didnt seem to know much i taught him stuff i learned here!

Oh and they need to stop selling those glofish starter kits 1.5 and 3g tanks, then on their website they say not to even keep even 1 glofish in a 1g bowl and that they need to be in schools. So they are selling tanks not sutable for the fish they sell.
    Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

18. mg13 Well Known Member Member

yeah, i said Betta tanks, but the other starters for specific fish are also just as bad

"desk tanks" are what they're called.

19. frogfan Well Known Member Member

I just find the glofish tanks specificly stupid when they are fully aware the tank isnt sutable for the fish they intend it for

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

20. Delaneyw Well Known Member Member

I have a pet peeve about the glofish tanks also. Just doesn't make sense to make a product that isn't even suitable for what you're advertising.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app