'somethingsphishy'

Discussion in 'Commercial Websites' started by Fishywife, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Fishywife

Fishywife Valued Member Member

Has anyone ever bought fish from the online store somethingsphishy? Their mainly discus but well other fish too. I've just paid 114 or so bucks for 3 adult angels.. I put the order in this morning and apparently they are shipping tomorrow (next day delivery). So I should get them on Tuesday.

I'd like to know what everyone's opinion is. I've read reviews and all seemed good.

My only question on it is that I thought you were supposed to purge fish for 48 hours before shipping them? I'll be soon shipping angel babies all over the country so obviously I've done my homework. Also they apparently add antibiotics and a sedative, and ship in reverse osmosis water. They advise to take the fish out the bag (after floating) and put it in tank immediately without water acclimating. I'm guessing they use breather bags? Hmmm...

2. j

jess3434 Valued Member Member

Yes, once you get a fish shipped to you you should only temperature acclimate the fish without opening the bag because once you do the ammonia will spike and potentially harm your fish. Sedatives is normal depending on the supplier. What kind of angels do you breed?

3. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

I have a koi and a black marble that recently 'divorced'. I got black marble, koi and white babies from this pair. I've had to split them up for the time being as she turned on him in a big way. So hence I bought 3 adults. I plan to eventually add all 3 plus the marble back in once they are out of quarantine and pray 2 pair off. I currently have 60+ dime sized angel fry growing out in a 55g in my basement tank. Some of these will be sold locally before the end of the week. I plan on getting another 55g or bigger growout, and at least 3 more 30g tanks to expand. I've been looking into purchasing some more exotic types, blues etc and keeping pure strain. I'm only really just getting into it lol

4. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

Omg they are sending me a green pinoy female, a platinum veil and a black marble Male! Stoked! I am getting really excited! So I'll have a koi female, green pinoy female, 2 black marble males a platinum veil Male! Oh wow!

5. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

I thought I'd update this...

I recieved the 3 adult Angel's. They arrived in a polyfoam box, with an inactivated heat pack taped inside the lid. I actually scrunched it in my hand, it became quite hot, quickly. I am so glad I paid for overnight shipping at a cost of a whopping $114 bucks.

The fish, were triple bagged, and very, very cold. No problem with the black marble and pinoy bags, apart from the water being very cold and smelly. The platinum veil bag however was a different matter. Bear in mind this is a full size angel, and he was on his side in just under an inch of water, no real air in the bag. Most of the bag water was in the polyfoam box. Another hour and he would have been dead. The water smelt so bad I recoiled. He had a bad case of ammonia burn, his fins all streaked red, and red patches on his body. The bags all had newspaper in between them, which was soaked, they were also tied, not banded.

I can see that the box was probably turned upside down by ups, causing the leak, but had the bags themselves been closed properly this shouldn't have been too much of a problem.

All fish are doing fine, although it took much longer for the platinum to recover. The pinoy and marble spawned yesterday, they are on thier own in a 30g, so I would hazard a guess no problems there.

In all, I thought the bagging was sloppy and the heat pack wasnt activated. They were, however, right with the sexing of the fish, and other than ammonia burn, they were in reasonable condition.

6. aussieJJDude

aussieJJDude Well Known Member Member

Glad that they all arrived alive, but shame about how they were packaged. When your paying that much, it doesn't take that much effort to ship them well IMO.

7. OP
    OP
    Fishywife

The fish themselves were about 10 bux each. I honestly thought the platinum was beyond saving for the first hour or so. Angel's are funny like that. They can give up, just like that. Luckily after a treatment for internal bacteria hes doing just fine. Hes lording it up in my 55g with a few other community fish and gbr, keyholes etc. The other pair spawned yesterday. So all ended well, but, I'm not so sure I'll want to get fish shipped again. I feel awful that they went through that, but at least now they have a safe, forever home, even if it means I have to buy more tanks lol. (I say this because I originally put the pinoy and marble with the female of my divorced pair along with the platinum and, the Male of the divorced pair, to 'force' a pairing... my original pair repaired... so I did end up rushing out and buying 30g for the new marble and pinoy... 8 tanks now.. lol oh well. Lucky I had a cycled filter eh?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice