Something's wrong with my Betta Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Treefork, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

My betta's "chest" cavity is super swollen, almost looks like he's engorged himself on a bunch of food or like a female full of eggs, but it has been that way for at least two days now. Could this be dropsy? If so what should I do? I can't take a picture right now or I would post one.

2. C

Charlemagne Valued Member Member

Is he pineconing? From what I've read, that seems to be the main sign of dropsy. the first thing that comes to mind other than dropsy is constipation. I believe the treatment for that is to fast for two days, then feed him a pea? Not sure about that, so I'll let someone else tell you about that. If it is dropsy, I don't think there's much you can do :( sure hope he get's better . . . . . .

3. OP
    OP
    Treefork

If by pineconing you mean the way his scales bulge out then I would say yeah a little. He doesn't seem to be in any distress though and eats like normal. I'm not sure what to do and I have to go out of town tomorrow until Sunday.

4. red020804

red020804 Valued Member Member

5. jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs Fishlore VIP Member

my betta just died on sunday.....his early signs were like what you're describing. i thought it was constipation at first and fasted a day....he got more and more bloated, turned pale and was pineconing a bit. he had major fin damage though, from being put into a tank of balasharks/loaches (not my doing!)

your boy could just be constipated though. so fast for a day or two, then give maybe half a thawed frozen pea (shelled). cut up tiny. i've heard that if they are constipated, they won't eat. dunno if this is the way all the time or not..... hope he's ok!

6. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

How raised are his scales?

7. OP
    OP
    Treefork

They are not sticking straight out but they are definately angled and gives the appearance of being larger than the rest of his scales.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice