somethings not right

1. baggy007 Well Known Member Member

hi guys can you help me

i have a comet that sometimes gets blood streaks in her fins but it never seems to bother her
    but for the last 2 days she has been acting strangely
    she spends long periods at the bottom of the tank and then spends ages gulping air at the top

she picks up when i feed her

did a water test, ammonia .50
    so i did partial water change and added some salts yesterday but no change in her

can someone help as ive had her 6yrs and dont want to lose her
  2. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

3. baggy007 Well Known Member Member

thanks for the quick reply

shes in a 125g tank, nitrites,rates fine just the ammonia

there is an airstone in there so she shouldnt be gulping air
  4. mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

Likely the ammonia is what's causing her to act like that, do a few daily water changes to see if it improves. :)

5. baggy007 Well Known Member Member

did a partial water change and tested again,niterites slightly high so have added a few real plants to see if they get it down
    the level wasnt high enough to affect my comet so could it be blood poisoning or something internal?

any help would be welcomed as i dont want to lose her
  6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

It sounds like your tank is still cycling or in a mini cycle. See if you can find some prime or amquel+ to add to your daily water changes. It will detoxify the ammonia/nitrites to keep her safe. The blood lines in their fins usually is a sign of ammonia. Good Luck!
  7. baggy007 Well Known Member Member

thank you shawnie

prime is hard to get here and ive never heard of the other 1
    there is a product ive used before called ammo lock,i think that does the same job, will give that a try

is a 20g daily change enuogh in a 125g tank or should it be more?

8. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Your welcome. I hope she perks up!!
    Ammo lock is great for the ammonia, but doesnt do anything for the toxins of the nitrites :( . So it wont hurt, but now that you have nitrites, maybe you can find some amquel + ? I would be changing at least 30 to 40% of the water. Especially where she is showing signs now of not doing well. How long has the tank been running and how was it cycled? If you have any other existing tanks, you can help the cycle with some media from those as well
  9. baggy007 Well Known Member Member

its been cycling for 2 weeks but ive an established tank and i used the filters and most of the water from that tank
    will have a look for some amquel+ and do a 40g partial in the morning and see how that goes

ive heard that if i soak her food in garlic that its good for her should i try that aswell? or am i just clutching at straws

thanks again

will keep you posted
  10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Soaking food will help her feel better...and it builds up her immune system...but the issues she's having now, will get better with the water changes and detoxifying the ammonia/nitrites while the cycle finishes up. :)

11. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Check out Amquel and Amquel +. I believe you can get that in the UK.